To help achieve our objective of equipping Defence with a smaller, more efficient and better-quality estate we are seeking high motivated and suitably qualified Senior Surveyor to join our established Acquisitions and Disposals Team.
As an experienced property professional, you will be tasked with delivering challenging and varied estate rationalisation and disposal projects.
The DIO Senior Development Surveyor will provide expert advice on a variety of property matters including development, valuation and planning and you will assist in the delivery of MoD Estate rationalisation and receipt targets currently set at -1bn to 2020/2021.
As a Senior Surveyor you will bring experience and understanding of commercial and residential development to DIO, taking on the responsibility for the delivery of receipts from all DIO property disposals. Working as part of a team, you will work with customers, the supply chain, developers, local government and other regional bodies to plan, promote and deliver the optimum market value. This will involve the coordination of disposals activities including budgeting and forecasting, planning promotion, site surveys, marketing and legal agreements.
The DIO Senior Development Surveyor will co-ordinate a diverse range of projects in the UK and potentially overseas having a focus on adding value to rationalisation projects helping to prioritise, establish and inject momentum into the MOD rationalisation programme. Post Location
There are 3 positions based in DIO Andover
DIO adopt a smarter working policy: The post holder would be based out of the main office location but has the flexibility to work out of other DIO Offices. All employees are provided with IT equipment to facilitate smarter working.ResponsibilitiesMain Responsibilities
The disposal teams undertake a variety of property and planning tasks to enable site disposals and are required to work with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders.
DIO Senior Disposal Surveyors are responsible for developing clear disposal strategies together with the preparation of technical and marketing reports to support the preparation and approval of business cases. Once approved you will manage all disposal activities from inception to legal completion.
A Senior Disposal Surveyor responsibilities will include:
- Working with other DIO teams, to manage budgeting and procurement activities; and with the Service Delivery Team to project manage site closure and handover of sites from the Military client to DIO.
- Providing town planning, development strategy and estate management advice to optimise the potential of complex disposal projects.
- Support to estate planning, optimisation and rationalisation activity on the Defence estate
- Working closely with Defence/military customers and other stakeholders both within and beyond MOD, including Local Authorities and other Government Departments.
- Providing advice to customers on Town Planning, Disposal Strategy, Valuation and other property matters.
- Providing advice and input to infrastructure projects.
- Identify potential disposal opportunities that may arise from changing defence requirements.
- Providing advice on the advantages and disadvantages of, and costs and savings associated with, various potential courses of action
- Support to wider MoD estate/accommodation policy and strategy initiatives.
You will also need to undertake tasks in support of disposal work and contribute to internal reporting requirements and data collection, this to support National Audit Office, Freedom of Information and Parliamentary reports as required.
You will assist senior management to support and develop the Disposal team to enable the delivery of departmental goals. Responsibilities are varied and changeable requiring flexibility, good communication and enthusiasm Travel Requirements
Post holders will be required to travel to the sites covered by the post on a regular basis and some visits may involve overnight stays. Some sites are difficult to access via public transport. About our Team
The DIO is the MoD-s expert adviser and enabler on infrastructure matters. It is tasked with equipping Defence with a significantly smaller more efficient, better quality estate.
Estates are the in-house real estate team within DIO advising our customers on current and future?infrastructure?needs, we acquire, manage, safeguard and dispose of the Defence?real estate.
Our unique customer knowledge and insight of the Defence Estate enables our in-house team of chartered surveyors, town planners, registered valuers and technical staff to provide in-depth advice, adding value to our customers delivery programmes across England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Overseas. This includes but is not limited to: property advice, safeguarding, byelaws, rationalisation programmes, acquisitions, disposals, lease management, accommodation programmes, commercialisation initiatives, rating, valuation programmes and the management of the tenanted estate.
Estates has four delivery teams, Acquisitions & Disposals (A&D) - delivering the Acquisitions and Disposals Programme, Accommodation Optimisation Team (AOT) providing strategic accommodation advice and support, Land Management Services (LMS) - providing a comprehensive land, estate and property management service and Safeguarding - protecting specific assets and operational capabilities.
ACQUISITIONS AND DISPOSALS (A&D)
Acquisitions and Disposals is the in-house estates team responsible for acquiring and disposing of MOD land and property, in particular, securing capital receipts for MOD re-investment. The team manages an extensive pipeline of sites for disposal working with
local planning authorities and key stakeholders to maximise their potential prior to sale.Licences
A full driving licence
Post holders will be required to travel to the sites covered by the post on a regular basis.
Some sites are difficult to access via public transport.Qualifications
A relevant Estate Surveying degree or equivalent qualificationMemberships
Full Membership of an appropriate estates professional body (Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors - MRICS/FRICS or equivalent)Behaviours
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Working Together
- Delivering at Pace
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Government Property Profession Competency Framework - Professional/Technical Expertise (Practitioner Level)
- Government Property Profession Competency Framework - Understanding & Complying with Statutory, Regulatory & Professional Requirements (Practitioner Level)
We enable our people to work at the right place, with the right people, at the right time.
We believe that if we look after our people they will be passionate about delivering great things for our customers.
We understand the importance of life outside of work and our industry leading flexible working practices, digital technology and modern workspaces will give you the opportunity to enjoy a healthy work-life balance.
Some of the many benefits you will receive:
- Highly competitive pension scheme
- Flexi-time scheme
- Alternative working practices such as working from home
- 25 days annual leave rising (1 day per year) to 30 days upon completion of 5 years- service
- Ability to roll over up to 10 days annual leave per year
- In addition to 8 public holidays per year you will also receive leave for HM The Queen-s birthday
- Minimum of 15 Days Special Leave in a rolling 12-month period to for volunteer military or emergency service reserve commitments
- Special Paid Leave for volunteering up to 6 days a year
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave
- Employee Assistance Programme to support your wellbeing
- Most sites have good travel links with free car parking; many also have other facilities such as a Sports & Social Club, Gym and / or site shops Learning & Development
- Professional and Personal Development of skills
- Access to thousands of training courses through Civil Service Learning, some free or paid by DIO
- Ability to obtain industry recognised qualifications supported by DIO Allowances
This post offers a Market Skills Allowance of;
Location - -3,000.00 OR
MRICS/FRICS Qualified - -5,000.00
Please be advised that the Department is conducting a review of all pay related allowances which could impact on those allowances that the post currently being advertised attracts.
This post does not offer any assistance with relocation allowances. Employment Hours
The post advertised is for 37 hours net, however the Ministry of Defence offers a range of flexibilities to enable a better work-life balance for employees. Flexible working, Part-time working and Job Share working patterns will be considered.Things you need to knowSecurity
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check .Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles , and will assess your Behaviours, Experience and Technical skills.
Please ensure that at the application and interview stages of the campaign you review the Success Profiles Framework to assist you in the demonstration of your skills and experience.
Your suitability for the role will be assessed using the Success Profile elements that have been chosen for this campaign. Each element will be scored accordingly, and the successful candidate will be appointed on merit.
you will be assessed against the following:
Relevant, suitable experience and knowledge at an appropriate level in the management of land and buildings.
Management of mixed teams - surveyors, admin and apprentices.
Government Property Profession Competency Framework
- Professional/Technical Expertise (Practitioner Level)
- Understanding & Complying with Statutory, Regulatory & Professional Requirements (Practitioner Level
you will be assessed against the above along with the following:
Delivering at pace
Application sifting is scheduled to take place on week commencing 6th July 2020
Interviews will take place at DIO Andover on W/C 13th July 2020. Due to the current situation these interviews may be conducted via telephone or Skype
A minimum of 2 full working days- notice will be provided for interviews. We endeavour to stick to these dates, but these are subject to change around business needs.
To assist with your application please find attached below:
Government Property Profession Competency Framework
For help and support with your application check out our
Civil Service Careers Homepage and the How to apply section
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.Nationality requirements
Open to UK, Commonwealth and European Economic Area (EEA) and certain non EEA nationals. Further information on whether you are able to apply is available here .Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles .
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.