Description Senior Track / Permanent Way Design Engineer About Arcadis:
At Arcadis, we never lose sight of what is most important. Because look beyond our projects and programmes and you will see it is about human stories. From remaking public spaces that bring people together, to making cities easier to navigate, we are focused on making an impact where it matters most - and improving quality of life.
It is a big challenge. And why we need people committed to bringing their best, who deliver on their promises. People who value different perspectives, build sustainable relationships and dare to shape the future. People who seize the experiences available to transform their world - and the world around them.
It is a shared goal amongst 27,000 Arcadians. And one we can only achieve by working together and applying our skills and expertise across design, consultancy, engineering, project and management services. It is how we will find solutions to our clients' most complex challenges. And how we will deliver exceptional results, today and tomorrow. The Opportunity:
We currently have an opportunity for a Senior Track / Permanent Way Design Manager
to join the team based in London. This is a fantastic opportunity to join a dynamic and successful team that is growing rapidly. Successful candidates will be rewarded with a rich diet of interesting and challenging rail projects and an opportunity to develop their careers with a successful global engineering consultancy. About the Team:
Our UK Rail Team continues to add to their impressive list of project awards and recent successes have seen them secure some of the UK's most high profile, complex and stimulating projects to complement their existing portfolio of works on programmes including Rail Systems Alliance Scotland, CP6 Wessex Framework, Northern and Central Programmes, HS2, Crossrail and renewals and enhancement schemes across Network Rail Routes.
Representing approximately 16% of our global business, the railway sector is one of Arcadis core markets, a position it has held throughout our 150-year history. We have an enviable reputation for delivery of some of the UK's, and indeed the World's, most prestigious and challenging schemes.
We have been involved in all major rail programmes since the 1980s including the Jubilee Line Extension, West Coast Main Line, Thameslink, Crossrail, IEP, HS1, Northern Hub, HS2, and Euston Redevelopment.
We are focused on working with our clients to help them achieve the best possible outcomes from their built and natural assets. As a result of our continuing success, we are now keen to significantly grow our Rail Teams, specifically to work on our CP6 enhancement and renewals design frameworks and tendered works and other live projects within the Southern Rail portfolio. Requirements:
\t Duties & Responsibilities:
- Reporting to the Team Leader / Associate Technical Director as a Senior Engineer, you will provide design delivery on a variety of track led multi-disciplinary projects within the rail environment. As we operate in such a diverse marketplace, you will gain an experience of working on a wide and varied portfolio of projects which will enhance your skills and test your technical knowledge. \t
- You will be a key technical team member in the London Rail Track design team, responsible for and involved the delivery of project-related tasks to meet budget, time-frame and quality targets, meeting or exceeding client expectations, promoting and marketing all facets of Arcadis services during interfaces with clients and other sectors and disciplines, contributing towards the achievement of the divisional business plan and to build networks within the industry. \t
- We will ensure that we offer personal development which will allow you to progress your career and offer you the opportunity to be mentored by industry recognised Technical Leaders in their field who will lend you their experience and ensure that the training you receive will give you the best possible chance of success.
\t Permanent Way Design
- Mentoring and developing team members, ensuring they are getting professional development to progress through the company. \t
- Building effective and enduring relationships with other functions, sectors and teams in the region, and external bodies to foster cooperation and to maximise cross-sell and trade up opportunities. \t
- To proactively encourage links across multi-office virtual teams, sharing business intelligence, opportunities and team members. \t
- Ensuring compliance with the company's commercial and administrative procedures by team members and project managers. \t
- Contribute to monthly performance reports as directed by the Business Director. \t
- Providing sound and effective leadership to the team, providing direction and technical advice, leading by example to achieve company goals and championing a quality culture. \t
- Implementing a high level of innovation in technical issues, problem solving and the culture of the team, leading by example. \t
- Being familiar with, and compliant with, relevant Health & Safety regulations and promoting a culture of awareness within the team. \t
- Performing other duties and responsibilities as required from time to time by your manager or Arcadis.
\t Why Arcadis?
- Acting as CRE. \t
- Mentor and develop staff, both in London and working with the teams across the UK and overseas through sharing knowledge and use of software. \t
- Manage the delivery of the track teams allocated technical assignments, work elements and work packages and other design activities. \t
- Familiar with BIM, digital workflows and model sharing on common data environments such as EB or Projectwise. \t
- Undertaking technical tasks in accordance with the Company's quality, safety and project management/engineering procedures and controls. \t
- Provision of permanent way design inputs, within own area of experience/knowledge, across aspects of the Company's activities and commissions. \t
- Checking / vetting all designs before issue. \t
- Undertaking consultancy assignments and providing advisory support to Clients and contribute to formulation of design concepts and approaches. \t
- Development of working knowledge across aspects of permanent way and contribution to developing the Company's general capability, breadth and depth of expertise and practices. \t
- Maintain good relationships with Client's key representative and contribute to the marketing/networking of the Company to potential customers. \t
- Inputs to the formulation of technical Proposals and their presentation to potential Clients. \t
- Contribute to overall team resource allocation and utilisation. \t
- Specific allocated responsibilities and duties commensurate with individual experience and developmental needs. \t
- Carry out any other tasks as directed by your Line Manager.
At Arcadis, you will have the opportunity to build the career that is right for you. Because each Arcadian has their own motivations, their own career goals. And, as a 'people first' business, it is why we'll take the time to listen, to understand what you want from your time here, and provide the support you need to achieve your ambitions.
Wherever you join us, you can look forward to a competitive reward package that includes an attractive starting salary, opportunities for career development and being part of a sociable community. We have a performance-related bonus scheme and an employee recognition scheme. Other benefits include membership fees to join your relevant professional body, employer contribution pension scheme, flexible working and a flexible holiday scheme.
We believe that by working together diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovative ideas. Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the heart of how we improve quality of life and we work closely with our people across six ED&I Workstreams: Age, Disability, Faith, Gender, LGBT+ and Race. A diverse and skilled workforce is essential to our success.
- Expert knowledge of Microstation CAD and Bentley Rail Track design software production. \t
- Expert Knowledge of Gauging essential. \t
- A minimum of BTEC HNC qualified in Civil Engineering (ideally degree qualified) with Bentley Railtrack / MX Rail experience. \t
- Expert knowledge of Microstation CAD production. \t
- Experience of track design, S&C and Plain Line. \t
- Knowledge and skills in aspects of track and/or railway civil engineering surveying, specification, construction/renewal within the UK. \t
- Ability to lead, mentor and develop a team of less experienced Engineers and support personnel. \t
- Preferably a Chartered Member of PWI or working towards professional qualification.