We're looking for a talented Software Test Engineer to join the BBC Design and Engineering on the Proteus project based in our West London offices. This role offers the opportunity to define a business critical system that's essential to the entirety of the BBC's audio output, and our millions of daily listeners
Our development team is responsible for designing, developing, and testing the Proteus system which provides BBC with the means to commission and schedule programmes for BBC Radio One, BBC Radio Two, BBC Radio Three BBC Radio Four as well as radio for BBC Regions.
Our consumers are regional, nationwide and global totalling over 2,500. The BBC rely on this system to commission radio programmes from over 800 independent production companies.
Our engineering team is dynamic and highly-skilled with a genuine determination to remain lean and agile in our development process. We maintain, extend, and re-develop the system through its evolvement and excited to be at the cusp of a major system rewrite in modernising our technology stack. This entails a rework of the entire platform from the hardware infrastructure right through to the client-facing UI.
If you're interested in joining us on this journey, you'll need to be innovative, resourceful, collaborative and hungry for new challenges as well as understanding the current product domain to ensure business continuity.
**Please refer to the Job Description for more information.**
- Leading the definition and execution of the test approach for a product
- Planning, estimating, reporting and directing test activities for a product
- Collaborating and integrating with other team members to ensure the delivery of a product to specification
- Advocate and encourage the use of TDD/BDD practices where appropriate
- Participate in the architecture and design of the feature early in the development cycle, influencing it to drive quality and adherence to the specification
- Examine and validate the functional and non-functional behaviour of front-end and server-side software
- Producing descriptive , clear and concise plans, and exit reports for stakeholders
- Creating manual and/or automated test cases to verify functional and non-functional requirements of a product.
- Design and implement reusable and maintainable automated tests for key use cases and scenarios
- Pairing with developers to ensure we have a robust and well written suite of automated acceptance tests.
- Contribute to overall software development and test strategies for the team.
- Troubleshooting- finding critical bugs or verifying reported issues, identifying their underlying cause and seeing them through to resolution.
- Using your development skills to identify areas of improvement between QA and Development create bespoke or integrating appropriate code solutions.
- Communicating status information and issues to a variety of stakeholders, adapting appropriately depending on the audience
- Supporting and leading change through experimenting and analysis to improve processes
- Keeping up with developments in testing methodology by attending specialist interest groups and conferences, both externally and within the BBC
- Contributing to the development of junior team members
Are you the right candidate?
- Ability to track down the root cause of a defect using debugging tools such as Firebug, and to analyse stack traces.
- Hands-on test automation experience of: Cucumber, Serenity framework; Selenium Webdriver,
- Programmatic interactions with data formats such as JSON and XML
- Working knowledge of a Continuous Integration system to create builds in Jenkins
- Ability to produce quality, reusable and maintainable automated tests.
- Must have knowledge of how to develop and design test infrastructure and test harnesses to hook into appropriate API's
- Experience testing high volume and complex applications, using Internet and legacy technologies.
- Ability to understand business requirements and create acceptance, design test cases and create clear testing reports.
- Experience of Agile Programming, pairing and working within a collaborative team of developers, testers and product teams.
- .Strong aptitude for learning new technologies and ways of working
- Ability to create, adapt and execute effective test strategies
- Ability to anticipate problems, troubleshoot, and solve them creatively, innovatively and with a pragmatically.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills and comfortable communicating at all levels in an organisation
- Ability to explain complex technical concepts to a non-technical audience
- An appreciation of good user experience and being prepared to be the users' advocate
- Good understanding of usability and accessibility of applications and products.
- Healthy interest in upcoming techniques and technology and an ability to describe to us something you're passionate about.
Desirable Skill List:
- Understanding of Service Oriented Architectures, integration patterns and RESTful web services.
- Understanding of databases and services
- Understanding of performance testing and coding
- Programming in Python
- Pro-actively learn the domain and architecture of the system.
- Understanding of web accessibility issues and appropriate methods for testing these.
Contract type: Continuing
Location: London We're happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application
. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression - the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities - our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don't focus simply on what we do - we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you've read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC - whether that's to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here