You'll do more than the expected. You'll do the unexpected.
As a Senior Engineer in the American Express Cloud Solutions Engineering team you will:
- Drive cloud native application architecture and patterns to enable application migration to cloud platform
- Partner with cloud platform engineering teams to build services and applications on both private and public cloud platforms
- Develop cloud migration patterns for a broad range of applications including distributed, database, big data, and COTS applications
- Partner with Enterprise Architecture and Application teams to develop creative enterprise grade solutions on cloud
- Help drive the next generation hybrid cloud adoption strategy and execution
- Contribute to best-in-class developer experience on the cloud platform
- You will play a key role in designing and implementing solutions that enable cloud native application pattern adoption across American Express Technologies
You will partner closely with applications teams across the company to understand business critical, customer facing capabilities and provide first class cloud solutions that solve these challenges in a scalable, reusable manner.
Identifying exciting opportunities for adopting new technologies to solve existing needs and predicting future challenges
Performing ongoing refactoring of code, utilizing visualization and other techniques to fast track concepts, and delivering continuous improvement
Manage your own time, and work well both independently and as part of a team
Work closely with product managers, platform and application engineers to implement versatile solutions to challenging enterprise problems
Demonstrate increased self-reliance to achieve team goals
Influence team members with creative changes and improvements by challenging status quo and demonstrating risk taking
Be a productivity multiplier for your team by analyzing your work flow and contributing to enable the team to be more effective, productive, and demonstrating faster and stronger results.
Mentor and guide junior team members to success within the team
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
Why American Express?
- University Degree in computer science, computer sc ience engineering, or related experience required; advanced degree preferred
- Extensive Software development experience in a professional environment including:
- Expertise in Kubernetes, Docker, RedHat OpenShift and public cloud providers including Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
- Expertise in configuration management and automation tooling, specifically Ansible, Chef and Puppet
- Experience with Application Performance Management tools (e.g. Splunk, App Dynamics, DynaTrace, Prometheus & Grafana)
- Strong knowledge of load balancers, specifically HAProxy and Nginx
- Proven experience leading and mentoring engineers
- Hands-on expertise with application design, software development, and automated testing
- Experience with distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and relational databases
- Must have experience in cloud native application patterns and tools, micro services architectures, application migrations to any cloud platform
- Excellent understanding of Infrastructure, Virtualization, Containers, Network, Storage, Monitoring tools, Logging analytic tools (Splunk, etc.)
- Real passion for and Excellent understanding of Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (CICD) tools and processes (Example: Jenkins, Ansible, etc.)
- Deep understanding of A gile principles and processes
There's a difference between having a job and making a difference.
American Express has been making a difference in people's lives for over 160 years, backing them in moments big and small, granting access, tools, and resources to take on their biggest challenges and reap the greatest rewards.
We've also made a difference in the lives of our people, providing a culture of learning and collaboration, and helping them with what they need to succeed and thrive. We have their backs as they grow their skills, conquer new challenges, or even take time to spend with their family or community. And when they're ready to take on a new career path, we're right there with them, giving them the guidance and momentum into the best future they envision.
Because we believe that the best way to back our customers is to back our people.
The powerful backing of American Express.
Don't make a difference without it.
Don't live life without it.
A competitive benefits offering designed to support our employees' total health and wellbeing, including:
- Health ca re scheme
- Defined contribution pension plan
- Dental scheme
- Virtual GP
- Life assurance
- Income protection
- Core holiday allowance with opportunity to buy or sell additional days
- Car Allowance/Company Car Option
- A range of flexible benefits to choose from designed to suit your lifestyle: healthcare plan options, health assessments, critical illness coverage, cycle to work, season ticket loans
- Employee Discount Portal
- Back up childcare/adultcare
- Onsite facilities include; Fitness classes, Health Checks, Digital Health Kiosk, Physiotherapy, Healthy Living Nurse, Wellness Studio, Costa Coffee and subsidised staff restaurant
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process - or need any reasonable adjustments to be made - then please contact the Recruitment Team on email@example.com or 00800 83 000038 (for Russia based candidates 810 800 83 000038).