An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Senior Electrical Power Systems Engineer to join our growing team in Derby.
This role requires in-depth knowledge and extensive experience in the development of electrical system architectures, associated computer models, and key electrical equipment. Excellent organisational & communication skills are vital as the role will require working on multiple projects simultaneously, mostly in a technical lead role and involve communicating across, upwards and downwards within the organisation.
At Rolls-Royce, we pioneer the power that matters to our customers, to society and to the planet.
Rolls-Royce Electrical (RRE) is part of Rolls-Royce Holdings plc having a global footprint that supports all our operating sectors of Civil Aerospace, Defence, and Power Systems. Current activities in RRE are focused heavily on turbo-electric propulsion, as well as supporting electrical power generation, energy storage, and electrical power distribution. Projects vary in scope but include concept architecture studies, modelling, simulation, prototype development and with a current focus on full scale product demonstrators (TRL6/7).Key Accountabilities
- Electrical power system requirements definition, trade studies, design and analysis, and demonstration through to initial production. Power ranging from a few kW to several MW.
- You will contribute to a wide range of electrical architectures & technologies typically for high integrity, power dense systems.
- Work with appropriate team members to develop complete power system requirements and solutions.
- Develop, implement and validate power systems and sub-systems operating in both generation and motoring applications, involving AC-AC / AC-DC and DC-DC conversion stages that will connect to a grid and/or other loads.
- Produce clear, comprehensive system specifications and performance requirements with input as necessary from mechanical, electrical and thermal teams as well as partners and suppliers as appropriate
- Support from the development of control techniques and control algorithms for efficient and resilient electrical systems.
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering or equivalent. Chartered Engineer status preferred.
- Deep understanding of electrical power systems with extensive relevant experience in electrical power system design preferably in the aerospace or adjacent industries.
- Experience in electrical system steady-state, transient & dynamic model development and validation is essential. Including electrical machines, power conversion, energy storage, protection devices and AC/DC distribution network behaviour.
- Engineering software experience in electrical systems simulation and analysis tools (SPICE, MATLAB, Simulink, Simscape, etc.).
- Electrical system cabling and grounding design including lightening protection and EMC considerations.
- Excellent communication skills (i.e. verbal, written, and presentation) and demonstrated ability to generate formal technical documentation suitable for technical expert/subject matter expert review as well as higher level summary reports for communication with senior management.
We offer excellent development prospects, along with a competitive salary and exceptional benefits. These include bonus, employee support assistance and employee discounts.Pioneer
the performance of the future. Join us and you'll develop your skills and expertise to the very highest levels, working in an international environment for a company known the world over for brilliance and innovation.Beyond tomorrow.
We are an equal opportunities employer. We're committed to developing a diverse workforce and an inclusive working environment. We believe that people from different backgrounds and cultures give us different perspectives. And the more perspectives we have, the more successful we'll be. By building a culture of respect and appreciation, we give everyone who works here the opportunity to realise their full potential.
You can learn more about our global Diversity and Inclusion strategy here .
At Rolls-Royce we also support requests for flexible working arrangements wherever possible Closing date
: 19th August 2019Job Category
Electrical Engineering Posting Date
12 Aug 2019; 00:08