Faithful+Gould is a world leading construction consultancy, with a great reputation for delivering a variety of cost, project and asset management consultancy services to a diverse client range. We place great emphasis on staff training and development which allows us to provide an unrivalled level of service. Join us and you'll benefit from a development programme designed to ensure great career experience and opportunities are provided for you to take advantage of.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Senior Chartered Building Surveyor with a proven ability and specialism for working with architecturally and historically important heritage assets, to join a growing building surveying team of heritage specialists in London. We provide expert advice and building surveying services to clients, working on high profile projects across the UK including scheduled monuments and World Heritage Sites. Our growing reputation for innovation and approaching heritage differently has enabled us to look to strengthen our built heritage expertise in London. It's an exciting time to be joining the team, and if you enjoy working on a diverse range of projects and being part of a multi-disciplinary team within a large organisation, then we would be interested to hear from you. The Role:
The Senior Building Surveyor role is aimed at candidates who have the technical expertise in delivering Building Surveying Services to clients, combined with a strong background and understanding of the historic environment; particularly across conservation. The post-holder will work closely with the Regional Director who leads on Built Heritage Services for Faithful+Gould in our London Office.
The key features of the role include:
- Undertaking a wide range of building surveying duties, under minimum supervision
- Assist in the growth of our professional services offering
- Provide conservation planning advice on heritage legislation
- Carry out surveys, inspections, schedules etc and the overall management of schemes in London and the Southeast
- Preparation of and contribution to heritage statements, heritage impact assessments, statements of significance and associated desk based and archival research, and consent applications within the historic environment
- Attendance at / and leading on meetings with clients and other technical specialists;
- Working in client offices / project offices as required
- Deliver and support with the preparation of internal and external bids and offers of service;
- Delivery and management of project teams to ensure projects are on time and budget.
- Contributing technical skills and knowledge to the team in order to maintain and improve the quality of our work and the expertise of our people;
You will be responsible for managing small to medium scale projects and therefore will be confident in delegating where necessary and/or asking for support and advice from the more senior members of the team. You will be client focused, looking at opportunities to reduce risk and issues associated with the historic environment in development schemes. This will require close working with other specialists to realise innovative solutions to design.Requirements:
We are looking for a motivated and sharp minded Senior Building Surveyor who has:
- A BSc (Hons) in Building Surveying or a similar degree accredited by RICS
- An academic qualification in archaeology, conservation or the historic environment or architectural history or equivalent
- A Member of the Institute of Historic Building Conservation (IHBC) would also be beneficial
- A track record of providing technical professional building surveying services within a consultancy, preferably across the historic built environment
- Proven experience of operating in a team environment, preferably within a consultancy
- Fully conversant with the relevant environmental / heritage legislation and guidance
- A focus on client satisfaction and demonstrable experience of liaising directly with clients effectively
- Ability to effectively communicate thoughts and ideas and listen to client needs
- IT literate -a sound working knowledge of Microsoft Office and other software packages including CAD
The successful applicant will be expected to demonstrate the following:
- Strong communication skills and the ability to build rapport with people/clients easily
- Keen interest in historic and traditional buildings
- Professional manner and outlook
- An ability to manage your time effectively
- Ability to solve problems
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Commercially aware
- Builder of strong working relationships
- Self-motivated with a desire to learn and develop yourself
- Able to work alone and as part of a team
- Good report and letter writing skills
Atkins offers a fantastic range of benefits, which you can tailor to suit your own health, wellbeing, financial and lifestyle choices. All the information you need to know is available on our dedicated benefits portal; your reward, which is available to access 24/7 from any device: https://www.yourrewardatkins.comSecurity Clearance: This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.