What's in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren't limited to:
About the role
- Annual bonus scheme of up to 45% of base salary
- Car allowance of £7,320 per annum
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (plus 8 Bank holidays)
- On-site state of the art gym at our Welwyn Campus with discounted "Gympass" membership & free health checks via Nuffield Health
- Retirement savings plan - save between 6% and 10% and Tesco will match your contribution
- LifeAssurance - 5 x contractual pay
- Share Schemes - Join our 'Buy As You Earn' & 'Save As You Earn' share schemes after 3 months service
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 3 months service
- Colleague Discounts:
- 10% increasing to 15% after every pay day for a four day period, off most purchases at
- Health screening every 2 years
- Private medical insurance offered by Bupa
- Cycle to work scheme
The Infrastructure Engineering team design, develop and operate all infrastructure used by Tesco Technology across our data centres, offices, stores and distribution centres. This encompasses multiple domains; private and public cloud, connectivity, end-user computing, CI/CD and monitoring toolkit. This includes both 3rd party and internally developed infrastructure applications and infrastructure that support the wider Tesco business. You will be responsible for
Key activities include:
- Designs, develops and operates the Infrastructure platforms that allow development teams and business colleagues to consume infrastructure.
- Designs, develops and operates the automation to allow Infrastructure platforms to be consumed in a controlled, auditable and repeatable manner.
- Setting the strategy, objectives and high-level plans for infrastructure.
- Works with development teams to collaborate in creating appropriate infrastructure solutions.
- Evaluating partners, software and hardware and finding the right mix to deliver the strategy.
- Driving innovation at Tesco through infrastructure transformation.
- Defining and overseeing standards and simplification across the estate.
- Designing, delivering and operating new and re-usable infrastructure solutions.
The Infrastructure team are supporting both the current Infrastructure and also the work required to continue the transformation of Tesco Technologies Infrastructure to modern platforms that can be easily consumed through self-service APIs, automatically handle failures and use best of breed modern technologies.
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role's key responsibilities and measures:
You will need
- Coach and mentor system engineers across Technology who are at a more junior level.
- Introduce automation to all aspects of my day to day work.
- Own the roadmap for my own technology area, advising on and selecting new technology products.
- Introduce new tools and techniques when appropriate to increase efficiency of delivery and operations.
- Architect, design and deliver solutions where new components are required.
- Resolve incidents that have not been seen before and design solutions that will minimise the amount of hands-on activity needed to fix issues.
- Understand current application development techniques (12 factor app) and their implications
- Lead group design discussions on my area of expertise and be able to present with authority to a variety of audiences.
- Contribute to commercial arrangements for system engineering deals
- Keep my technical skills up to date and keep track of new technologies, understanding how they might benefit the Technology team and wider Tesco.
- Actively participate in the broader change implementations and aware of change management processes
- This role will best suit an individual who enjoys working as part of a team, is well organised, pragmatic and a lateral thinker with an inquisitive mind who is motivated to make change for the better and, most importantly, puts our customers first.
You'll need to have demonstrated experience of:
- Previous experience working in a DevOps environment, automating solutions and introducing new technology solutions which impact current ways of working
- Previous experience at designing solutions for large complex global organisations
- Flexibility, ability to plan and organise, responsiveness, creativity, self-starter
- Able to build solid working relationships with peers and senior leadership
- Ability to demonstrate strong written, verbal communication and presentation skills to all levels of seniority and disciplines within the organisation.
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop, whether they are at home, out shopping, on the move, anywhere in the world.
We want our customers to be inspired and whatever they are looking for, we're finding bigger and better ways to provide it.
Everything is underpinned by our continuous drive for the best tools and technology to deliver our vision. We're driving innovation and transforming our Technology to become the world's leading retailer.
We need people who share our ambition to deliver for our customers; Passionate and confident people willing to take the initiative and drive us forwards. In return we offer excitement, a great team, an excellent benefit package, and significant career development opportunities.
Joining us means playing a part in defining; building and launching an ambitious roadmap of digital products that could affect the lives of millions of people over the years to come.
If that sounds exciting then we'd love to hear from you.
The position will be based at our Head Office in Welwyn Garden City.