Description Fire Safety Engineer London, Birmingham, Manchester, or Leeds
At Arcadis, we never lose sight of what's most important Because we look beyond our projects and programmes and you'll see it's about human stories. From remaking public spaces that bring people together, to making cities easier to navigate, we're focused on making an impact where it matters most - and improving quality of life.
It's a shared goal amongst 27,000 Arcadians. And one we can only achieve by working together and applying our skills and expertise across design, consultancy, engineering, project and management services. It's how we'll find solutions to our clients' most complex challenges. And how we'll deliver exceptional results, today and tomorrow. Job Description
At Arcadis UK we are looking for a Fire safety Engineer to join our Strategic Environmental & Safety Consulting (SESC) team, to provide Fire Safety Engineering work that support design projects within and outside the UK.
As a fire engineering and fire risk management team, we are focused on creating safe, innovative and sustainable solutions within the built environment. Your experience will be critical because we take our passion of improving quality of life seriously and provide our clients with fire safety strategies that make an impact.
We are looking to grow our team due to increased project demand and because we're such a diverse business, we can offer you variety as standard. You'll get to work on a range of different projects across the buildings sector, but also across specialist sectors such automotive, aviation and manufacturing.
This role can be based from our Birmingham, Leeds, London or Manchester office and there will be the opportunity to work from home.
- Development of Fire Safety Strategy reports
- Means of Escape analysis (including calculations of evacuation times based on RSET principles from PD 7974 part 6; escape routes and exits widths; assessment of travel distances; development and assessment of evacuation strategy plans)
- People Movement Modelling Analysis (PeMMA): evacuation and crowd simulations using computational models, such as EXODUS, SIMULEX etc (Required but not essential)
- Assessment and understanding of the main British fire safety legislation and standards applied to buildings, such as Approved Document B (AD B), BS9999, BS7974
- Assessment and understanding of the main British fire safety legislation and standards, such as the London Underground fire safety standards, the Network Rail standards, e.g., LUL - S1371, Railway Safety Principles and Guidance (RSPG) (Required but not essential)
- Third Party Review/Design Verification
- Attendance of internal design team meetings
- Attendance of external design team meetings with clients with initial supervision
- Supporting on the development of Fire Risk Assessment reports for both, the building and rail sectors.
- Track record of working as a Fire Engineer with experience in designing and implementing fire safety strategies
- Hazard Identification
- As Low As Reasonably Practicable (ALARP) understanding
- Fire Risk Assessment principles
- Understanding of fire dynamics, heat transfer and smoke behaviour principles in enclosed environments (particularly in undergrounds and tunnels)
- Good knowledge on CAD (Computer Aided Design) packages / Bluebeam for building up floor plans, sections, elevations of building designs
- Familiarity with BIM (Building Information Modelling)
- Basic understanding on Active Fire Protection (AFP) and Passive Fire Protection (PFP) systems
- Basic knowledge on fire modelling simulation (using zone models such as CFAST and CFD-based models such as FDS or SMARTFIRE).
- Desired - Chartered Fire Engineer
At Arcadis, you'll have the opportunity to build the career that's right for you. Because each Arcadian has their own motivations, their own career goals. And, as a 'people first' business, it's why we'll take the time to listen, to understand what you want from your time here, and provide the support you need to achieve your ambitions. Wherever you join us, you can look forward to a competitive reward package that includes an attractive starting salary, opportunities for career development and being part of a sociable community. We have a performance-related bonus scheme and an employee recognition scheme. Other benefits include membership fees to join your relevant professional body, employer contribution pension scheme, flexible working and a flexible holiday scheme.
We believe that by working together diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovative ideas. Equality, diversity and inclusion is at the heart of how we improve quality of life and we work closely with our people across six ED&I Workstreams: Age, Disability, Faith, Gender, LGBT+ and Race. A diverse and skilled workforce is essential to our success.
Qualifications Desired - Chartered Fire Engineer