Linux Application Support Engineer Permanent, Full Time £32,000 to £40,000 per annum Cambridge What it's about
We are looking for a Linux Application Support Engineer with hands-on experience of Linux Operating Systems and associated technologies. You will be providing 2nd and 3rd line support in a very dynamic business environment.
We are a market leader in worldwide examination and learning services working in a highly competitive and volatile marketplace. This is an excellent opportunity to join a team of highly skilled Linux Application Support Engineers working on exciting projects and supporting a multitude of applications running on varied platforms and advanced technologies.
You will be a highly motivated team player able to deliver and support enterprise wide services to an international audience. What you'll be doing
• Deliver world class Linux based platforms enabling Cambridge Assessment to operate with high levels of resilience and availability
• Provide expert advice to help Line Management by providing technical information about the capabilities of IT products within the operational support environment, to assess the feasibility of proposed projects to ensure appropriateness of IM solutions and to maintain alignment with the wider technical framework.
• Define, resolve and document problems during implementation of projects in the operational and support environment, to ensure adequate transfer of knowledge to the support technicians.
• Help prepare for implementation of projects in the operational/support environment including evaluation, feasibility, technical investigations, pilots, proofs of concept, training and education.
• Provide second/third line technical support in areas where jobholder possesses unique technical expertise . What we're looking for
The ideal candidate would match the following requirements: Skills
- Demonstrable related work experience in Linux administration, including Red Hat and Debian
- Oracle Database knowledge, data manipulation and reporting is a distinct advantage
- Strong prioritisation and delegation skills
- Working knowledge of virtualisation technology, using VMware or Hyper-V
- Strong demonstrable knowledge of IIS and Apache Tomcat in a web hosting environment
- Strong knowledge in Active Directory/LDAP, DNS, DHCP
- Understanding of Networking, including firewall and load balancers such a F5 is an advantage
- Demonstrable experience of shell scripting and PowerShell
- An understanding of automation using Puppet is desirable
- A competent understanding of the 3-tier application structure
- Knowledge of Amazon Cloud Platform is desirable
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with a customer focus
- A team player
- Able to work under pressure
Who we are
- Graduate calibre with strong relevant experience
- LPIC-2 Certification is desirable
- ITIL v3 Foundation level is desirable
Cambridge Assessment is Europe's largest assessment group, incorporating three major awarding bodies. It plays a leading role in researching, developing and delivering assessment and learning to eight million candidates in 170 countries every year. The Group is a department of the University of Cambridge and a not-for-profit organisation.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a market leader and be rewarded with valuable learning opportunities, a competitive salary and benefits. Benefits
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a comprehensive package of benefits to help with your life both inside and outside of work:
- Generous contributory pension
- 28 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- Annual performance related bonus and increases (discretionary)
- Enhanced maternity/paternity pay
- Employee discount and cash back scheme at 2,500 retailers
- Cycle scheme
- Season Ticket Loan
- Subsidised staff restaurants
- Support for professional qualifications
- Discounted access to the University of Cambridge Sport Centre, along with various other local gyms
We know that diversity of thinking, backgrounds and approaches lead to innovation and create an atmosphere where everyone's contribution is valued. As well as wanting to create diverse teams, we also value diversity in the way our people approach their work. Work/life balance is important to us at Cambridge Assessment and we offer our colleagues a range of flexible working options according to the needs of the business and the individual, so please let us know of any flexible working requirements when applying and we can see how we can support you. The closing date for receipt of applications is 14/06/2019 and interviews will be held on TBC . If you're successful at interview stage we will ask you to undergo background screening (carried out by Credence Background Screening Ltd), to ensure that all information provided to us is accurate. We wish you all the very best with your application. CAMBRIDGE ASSESSMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES EMPLOYERJob Segment:
Technical Support, Application Engineering, Linux, Bank, Banking, Technology, Engineering, Finance