BAE Systems - Degree Apprentice: Embedded Electronic Systems Design and Development Engineer, Chelmsford About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
BAE Systems Applied Intelligence has evolved from a heritage of 40 years and has rapidly expanded through digital, working in multiple industries and employs great minds to solve tough problems for our customers. BAE Systems Applied Intelligence is a division of the BAE Systems Group; a premier international technology defence, aerospace and security company. We develop a wide range of products and services across several domains including: air, land, sea and cyber.
At BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, we're interested in the skills and ideas that you will bring to our business. By embracing diversity and inclusion, we make best use of individual talents and allow our colleagues to expand, learn and recognise their strengths About the role
In this role you will:
Key Programme features
- Be a full-time employee of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
- Undertake a Degree Apprenticeship in Embedded Electronic Systems Design and Development
- Experience the academic part of the programme in the form of a 'traditional' BEng degree undertaken at University
- Spend the 'vacations' working in our engineering teams at Gt Baddow
- Develop the skills to design and develop state-of-the-art software, firmware or electronics.
- Work with bright, enthusiastic and committed people in one of our small client-focussed engineering teams.
- Scope, plan and be responsible for delivering work to agreed timescales.
- Be involved in customer-facing delivery, sometimes to challenging deadlines.
- Develop innovative solutions.
- Have a strong interest in expanding technical knowledge both in areas of core expertise and more generally.
- Work towards gaining the experience required to take technical lead roles.
This Degree Apprenticeship opportunity is an integrated programme delivering learning that supports a strong sense of progression, continuity and collaboration whilst building performance excellence. You will experience:
Who are we looking for?
- Three years of academic training culminating in a BEng degree in a traditional university environment
- You will be provided with structured training and development on domain specific and general engineering skills, delivered by BAE Systems' subject matter experts
- A strong foundation in practical, interpersonal and business skills
- Being part of a positive and dynamic working team challenging problems that matter to our customers
- Responsibility from Day 1
- Subject Matter Experts imparting experience and knowledge to ensure you have the skills to succeed in your role
- Practical experience of hands-on learning to solve real life business challenges
We are looking for ambitious, high-calibre people with the following characteristics:
What you'll need
- Highly motivated with a strong academic background in STEM subjects at A level
- An aptitude for problem-solving and expanding knowledge,
- Broad interest in electronics technology,
- Ability to multi-task and stay organised in a changing and fast-paced work environment
- Excellent team working and ability to contribute as part of a diverse team
- Ability to learn quickly and sometimes working to challenging deadlines
To apply for this Apprenticeship Scheme, you'll require the following:
- A minimum of 120 UCAS points gained from a maximum of 3 A-Level qualifications or equivalent E.g. BTEC. (excludes AS level).
- 5 GCSEs at grade A*-C / Level 4-9, including Mathematics, English and Science.
- Relevant or prior experience may also be considered as an alternative to the above qualifications
Should your initial application be successful, you will be contacted by the recruiter with further information. Assessment activities include:
Reward & Benefits
- Online application & review
- Hiring Manager Screening
- Medical & Security checks
- £20k starting salary, with performance related uplifts
- Fully funded training and development with subject matter experts
- 25 days holiday per year
- Pension scheme
- Wide variety of development and training opportunities.
If successful you will be contacted by our internal recruitment team and invited to an interview later in 2020. The start date for this role will be September 2020.
BAE Systems is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. We particularly welcome applications from sections of the community which are currently under-represented at BAE Systems, including women, BAME and applicants with disabilities. Please note we will not use any personal information relating to your background at any stage of the application process. Applicants will be expected to be medically fit as deemed necessary to perform the role and be eligible to work in the UK. About BAE Systems Applied Intelligence
We use our intelligence-led insights to help defend Governments, Nations and Societies from cyber-attacks and financial crime. Our customers depend on our evolving capabilities to help them safely grow their organisations. Our unprecedented access to threat intelligence, world-leading analysts and market-leading technology means we can help them to adapt, evolve and stay ahead of the criminals. Division overview: Capabilities
At BAE Systems Applied Intelligence, we pride ourselves in being a leader in the cyber defence industry, and Capabilities is the engine that keeps the business moving forward. It is the largest area of Applied Intelligence, containing our Engineering, Consulting and Project Management teams that design and implement the defence solutions and digital transformation projects that make us a globally recognised brand in both the public and private sector.
As a member of the Capabilities team, you will be creating and managing the solutions that earn us our place in an ever changing digital world. We all have a role to play in defending our clients, and this is yours.
Diversity and inclusion are integral to the success of BAE Systems Applied Intelligence. We are proud to have an organisational culture where employees with varying perspectives, skills, life experiences and backgrounds - the best and brightest minds - can work together to achieve excellence and realise individual and organisational potential. We also welcome discussions about flexible working.