This is a unique opportunity to join the newly created BBC Datalab.
You will join a specialist group of scientists and technologists striving to create great audience experiences through the use of data and machine learning.
In this newly formed role you will be accountable for successfully delivering our data engineering capability delivering capabilities, services and solutions based on our data blueprint. You will support various data and batch/realtime analytical solutions leveraging transformational technologies. And will be working on multiple initiatives as a technical team member (or lead) driving user story analysis and elaboration, design and development of software applications, testing, and building automation tools. You will translate business requirements into system requirements and participate in creating strategies that use machine learning and data platforms. Working with the broader Design and Engineering team to design and implement data solutions in alignment with the project schedule. On a daily basis you will be building data algorithms, coding and testing documents and modified data systems to create robust and scalable applications for data. You will work with developers to make sure that all data solutions are consistent and will be key to expanding and growing our data platform capabilities
Are you the right candidate?
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering, other technical discipline, or equivalent work experience.
- Software development or database experience.
- Familiarity with agile or other rapid application development methods and experience with object-oriented design, coding and testing patterns
- Experience with object-oriented coding with variety of languages and experience with relational database internals, including both query processing and query planning, or other data processing infrastructure
- Basic knowledge of key data structures and algorithms
- Knowledge of data modeling and understanding of different data structures and their benefits and limitations under particular use cases.
- Familiarity with monitoring, backup, and disaster recovery of data systems and knowledge in different programming or scripting languages.
This is a rare opportunity to join the BBC in a brand new role! This is an opportunity to really make something your own. We have tones of data and historically, if we are honest, we have not been great at using it. So, imagine what you can do? Imagine the impact you could have, using your skills as a data guru to create amazing experiences for our audiences. We want people who have ideas, who have the ability to challenge the way things are done and we encourage innovation. You will be surrounded by thought leaders who will want to take your career and ideas to the next level and you will be key to taking us on the journey to being a data driven Digital First BBC.
Contract type: Permanent
Location: Flexible UK Location We're happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application
. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression - the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities - our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don't focus simply on what we do - we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you've read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC - whether that's to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here