Alcentra, a $40B AUM global credit asset manager, is positioned for significant growth with a diverse array of credit strategies positioned to help institutional and retail investors meet their income and return objectives in a low yield environment. The firm has grown significantly since inception in 2002 and aims to double AUM to $80B+ in the next 5-7 years.
To capitalize on this growth, Alcentra is searching for a highly qualified Chief of Staff ("CoS") to work closely with the CEO and executive leadership team ("ELT"). From day one, the CoS will have an immediate impact on productivity, streamlining strategic initiatives, helping the ELT to collaborate across geographies and businesses. The ideal candidate will have proven experience in a business management role, with a special focus on executive-level advising and interdepartmental collaboration.
London-based, the CoS will have broad responsibilities related to Alcentra's investment activities, the broader firm strategy, drive effective information flow, and ensure delivery of the firm's key strategic and operational projects. Company Overview:
Alcentra's team brings together a depth of knowledge in sub-investment grade corporate debt that covers the entire spectrum of investment possibilities - from Secured Loans and High Yield Bonds to Direct Lending & Mezzanine , Special Situations , Structured Credit and Multi-Strategy Credit . The firm works with investors around the world to help them make the most of the market opportunities. Alcentra's clients gain access through a large range of investment funds, including specialization build a portfolio tailored to client's specific needs and requirements.
Alcentra's highly experienced professionals, based in London, New York and Boston with investor-facing personnel in Singapore and Hong Kong, work across asset classes, business sectors and geographies. Each member of the investment team has deep experience in their chosen field of specialization. BNY Mellon Investment Management :
At BNY Mellon Investment Management, we believe the right results begin with being relevant to every client, whether it is engaging with them to create solutions, offering diversified strategies or providing insights for better-informed decisions.
That is why we designed a model built around investors' needs to offer the best of both worlds: world-class investment firms with best-of-breed talent and unique cultures combined with the global scale and strength of BNY Mellon Investment Management. We connect investors with opportunities across every major asset class, globally. Today, we have eight investment firms, one of which is Alcentra.
We believe this is how investing should be and we are looking for talent to help us deliver on our promise. Job Purpose : Objectives of this Role
- Help develop and implement Alcentra's business strategy to grow in the alternative credit market
- Assist the CEO in transforming the Alcentra culture and brand from being a reliable credit expert to a dynamic credit partner focused on collaboration, creativity and commitment
- Serve as a thought partner and sounding board to the CEO on all manner of business issues
- Power improvements in every process, from sales to credit research to operations
- Drive better coordination with our parent, BNY Mellon, to leverage their extensive global resources to drive business performance
Nature of the Work
- The CoS works extensively with the CEO and the ELT on all critical projects, and is responsible to develop strategic and operational content to improve the firm's investment activities and implementing projects through to fruition.
- He/she sets key business priorities in biweekly Executive Management Committee meetings with the leadership team, leads/sets weekly meeting agenda for CEO, and follows through to conclusion.
- The CoS represents the CEO on Alcentra internal committees, ensuring strategic alignment with their work and escalating matters as appropriate.
- Working with the ELT, the CoS provides pivotal executive-support role, supporting senior decision-makers and keeps projects on task. This will include leading some number of specific initiatives.
- Owing to the critical and confidential strategic nature of the projects and work, the CoS must be a "roll-up sleeves and get stuff done" executive, as it may not be possible to delegate certain projects owing to the sensitive nature. These projects may include partnerships and M&A.
- This executive possesses strong intellectual capability, understands how to navigate complex organizational issues, and is able to independently deliver as required.
- Assist in all aspects of human capital management and development including performance reviews, compensation and the hiring of experienced team members.
- This executive possesses a track record of meeting crucial deadlines, progress goals, and is accustomed to work hours similar to high performance professional service firms.
- This role carries a high degree of responsibility and decision-making ability.
- Limited travel is required as the presence and day-to-day actions of this person are central to the team and business.
Our expectation is that people will bring:
- Owing to Alcentra's analytical approach, it is strongly preferred that this candidate has previous strategic consulting work experience, coupled with team and project management experience.
- Operating experience in a company with P&L responsibility, as well as exposure to and understanding of high-performance professional service organisations are strong added benefits. Candidates with investment firms, strategy consulting and/or investment banking are highly preferred.
- Candidates will have a strong analytical framework to process complicated issues and problem solve and have a bias for action. Intellectual leadership and first-line business judgement are essential.
- The CoS works closely with CEO and ELT in a senior operational-support role; hence, having worked in a client servicing mind-set obtained from prior experience in strategy consulting, advisory operations, is a strong plus.
- Given the strong presentation (written and oral) requirements of the CoS should be a native/fluent English speaker who is able to communicate at 100% efficiency - both oral and written.
- Must be a team builder, with ability to develop/supervise professionals while keeping production up/team on task. The individual should have a growth mindset, must be a team player, have exceptional interpersonal/influencing skills, a positive attitude and humble on the ego scale.
- Client Drive
- Efficient Decision Making
- Master's degree in Business Administration or similar field
- Experience with M&A, coordinating diligence processes and negotiating terms
- Knowledge of investment management generally and alternative credit specifically
- Experience operating in a regulated financial environment, especially in the US or UK
Knowledge of financial systems such as Allvue/Black Mountain and Geneva