We are looking for an individual for a Senior Associate to join our ReSOC (Resolution Strategy, Operations & Client Assets Department). You will assist the Strategy team across multiple workstreams and support the department and division.
The FCA is currently responsible for the supervision of c.55,000 dual and solo regulated firms including c.3,000 firms which collectively hold over £168 billion of client money and £17 trillion of custody assets (CASS firms). All CASS firms are subject to the FCA's CASS Handbook and conduct investment business, insurance intermediation, debt management, peer to peer, or claims management activities.
ReSOC sits within the Specialist Directorate in the new Supervision, Policy and Competition (SPC) division. ReSOC leads the FCA's drive to continually improve the protection afforded to client assets, thereby increasing consumer protection and strengthening market integrity. We do this by assessing risk and carrying out data analysis, as well as supervising firms' compliance with the Client Assets Sourcebook.
Our CASS and Resolution Strategy team is also responsible for designing and implementing strategic initiatives to strengthen the legislative/regulatory framework on CASS and resolution matters. We provide specialist CASS support and work closely with stakeholders both externally and across the FCA, including Resolution, Supervision, Authorisations, Policy, General Counsel's Division, Communications and Enforcement.What does the job involve?
What will I get from the role?
- Becoming a specialist in the field of client assets regulation.
- Assisting on complex resolution, insolvency and CASS strategy workstreams as directed by management or relevant committees.
- Drafting proposals, committee papers, guidance and policy statements.
- Preparing presentations for various team/departmental/divisional meetings, training and webinars on relevant subject matter.
- Building strong relationships and managing internal and external stakeholders.
- Supporting initiatives within the FCA's Transformation Programme, including identifying and implementing opportunities for continuous improvement across the team, department and division.
- Applying and continually enhancing learning.
- The Strategy team was formed in April 2020 and you will play a meaningful part in forming how the work of the team evolves over time while enhancing the team's profile in the FCA. Your work will be varied, and you will have the opportunity to express opinions, concerns, suggestions and to challenge processes.
- You will enjoy a unique perspective on the financial services industry, with the opportunity to do meaningful work that makes a real difference. Examples of this work had recently included; drafting new legislation to enhance consumer protection, including in response to Covid; post EU-UK Withdrawal Agreement work and feeding in to initiatives such as payments regulation and the development of policy on Cryptoassets.
- You will work alongside a high performing team of experienced professionals who work collaboratively and share their knowledge to help ensure the team's overall success. You will have the opportunity to work with and influence a wide range of industry professionals, both internally and externally to the FCA and to gain exposure to senior executives both within the industry and the FCA. The role will provide various responsibilities and opportunities to help develop you both professional and personally.
- The FCA's Transformation Programme will also present opportunities to develop the team's approach. We are constantly looking to improve, challenging how we do things and being bold in both the regulatory decisions we influence as well as helping to ensure the Specialist Directorate operates as effectively as possible.
We're a signatory to the Government's Disability Confident scheme. This means that we will offer an interview to disabled candidates entering under the scheme, should they meet the minimum criteria for a role. A minimum criterion needs to be measurable from reviewing a candidate's CV. Exceptions may apply if, due to the volume of applications, we are not able to interview all eligible candidates who qualify under the scheme.
- Previous experience of either supervision or policy matters including some knowledge of client asset regulation and/or resolution.
- Experience communicating subject matter clearly, confidently and with authority.
- Experience analysing, interpreting and presenting data to stakeholders.
- Experience drafting letters, reports and committee papers.
- Excellent communication skills - you will need to communicate complex subjects clearly and confidently both orally and in writing.
- Excellent analytical skills - you will need to analyse complex regulations and business models and review information to identify risks to client assets.
- Leadership skills - you will need to engage and operate confidently within a network of regulatory specialists, firms and other industry stakeholders; develop junior and less experienced staff; drive work through to completion; and demonstrate professional excellence at all times.
- Some knowledge of the UK financial services regulatory framework - you will need to demonstrate an understanding of this and have practical experience of working in this field.
- Strong prioritisation and time management skills. You will need to be able to juggle a number of competing pieces of work at once, ensuring deadlines are met and quality is maintained.
- Excellent team working skills - the nature of the Strategy team's work and ReSOC work is collaborative.
The FCA's Values & Diversity
- Relevant knowledge and practical experience of client asset regulation and/or firm resolution.
- Knowledge and/or experience of firms who hold client assets, e.g. investment firms, general insurance intermediaries.
- Experience of working in a strategy role.
- Legal, accounting or internal audit background.
Our ambition is to create a diverse and inclusive workplace that reflects the society we serve, helping us to be a better regulator.
As an inclusive employer, we are open to considering flexible working arrangements. Please contact our recruiter if you wish to apply for this role on a flexible basis.Useful Information
- This role is graded Senior Associate REG C
- The salary range is approximately £46,000 - £60,000, plus a competitive flexible benefits package.
- Applications for this role close on Wednesday 22nd September
- Competency based interview and case study
- If you have any questions regarding this role please contact [email protected]
In order to apply for this role, you will need to submit your CV and answer the following question:
Why do you believe that you are suitable for this role? Please ensure that you specifically relate your answer to the MINIMUM and ESSENTIAL criteria listed in the job advert, covering your relevant skills, technical knowledge and capabilities (no more than 300 words)