Everybody on the team has a say in how we work, so you need to be able to work with others across disciplines - collaborating with UX designers, API engineers, testers and product owners so that together we can make everything we do the best it can possibly be. You'll help create team goals and objectives, contribute feature ideas and discuss the future direction of the product, and give input in retrospectives on how we're performing as a team and what we can do to improve. Even this job description was written collaboratively, using feedback and suggestions from everyone on the team.
We collaboratively build the iPlayer app for the long term and that has driven us to care deeply about code quality, architecture and a test first approach. We work in both Java and Kotlin, with all new features written in Kotlin. You'll be happy to discuss technical details with the rest of the engineering team, contributing to discussions and communicating your own ideas.
You'll also have opportunities to grow and specialise. We want you to be passionate about the future of technology in broadcasting, and the impact you can have. You'll need a desire to keep learning and growing, with support from cross-team groups, meet-ups and chapters focussed on topics such as Android and iOS development, accessibility, security, development practices, continuous delivery and many other areas of interest.
Are you the right candidate?
You may have experience of some, but not necessarily all, of the following:
- Real-world Android development experience or a passion to apply your existing engineering skills in a mobile environment
- Real-world experience with Java and/or Kotlin in mobile apps development, or a passion to learn
- A good understanding of Object Oriented Programming
- Understanding of design patterns such as MVVM, MVP, VIPER
- Demonstrable understanding of Test-Driven Development
- Experience of source control systems such as Git
- A track record of producing maintainable code within collaborative environments
- Ability to rapidly acquire new software skills and to work with new technologies
- Degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Experience with Android development projects
- Experience with Continuous Integration/Deployment in mobile apps
- Web services integration (REST, JSON) in a mobile environment
- Experience with Agile/Scrum/Kanban project management methodologies
- Knowledge of Amazon Web Services
- Excellent career progression the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more
About the BBC
D+E offers a wide range of stretching, creative and impactful careers for talented people. We are the team that's building the future of the BBC, whilst delivering TV, radio and online services to millions of people worldwide every day.
As well as being the people behind iPlayer and the News, Sports and Children's services, we develop, support and maintain the systems and infrastructure that keeps the BBC on air and are responsible for the biggest British-run digital service in the world. In D+E, you'll be working on unique challenges, hand in hand with the best creative minds in the UK and alongside one of the world's leading production and distribution companies (BBC Studios).
We offer challenging work but with the time to think and do things right. We uphold a 100 year history of invention and innovation in the BBC by welcoming and developing people of all backgrounds.