BBC is one of the UK's most well-known and loved brands. The TV & Radio product teams Renowned and loved throughout the UK and the world, the BBC has become a household name which delivers online content to more than 25 million people globally, and we are proud to say that we help make that magic happen!
It is an exciting time to join the team as we have ambitious goals to be the number one online TV and audio service in the UK. The BBC is a place where your work impacts 25 million users every day across our products and consuming 40 millions hours of content. This role is an opportunity to work on software at a scale that is hard to find. We're looking for passionate Software Engineers in Test to join our fast-paced cross-discipline agile teams iterating on our key products.
Key Technologies we use
- Writing, running and analysing automated acceptance tests
- Running manual and exploratory tests
- Improving existing acceptance tests
- Work closely with developers and other disciplines to design, develop & release working software (audience facing products + tools)
- Encourage best practices
- Review acceptance tests with developers
- Learn new technologies and adapt to change
- Promote skills and knowledge sharing
What we offer in return
- Git for version control (we're on Github)
- Jenkins for Continuous Integration
- Amazon Web Services
- Our WebApps are built with node/react
- Selenium and Webdriver.io
We provide you with a great work-life balance and a competitive work package. There are also great opportunities to grow your career within the team or the wider organisation. As part of BBC iPlayer and Sounds you will be at the heart of the Internet first BBC.
We have an internal Academy department to ensure you have the training needed to advance in your career from soft skills to technical training such as AWS, cloud architecture and micro-services, to name a few.
Are you the right candidate? Essential Skills & Experience
Desirable Skills & Experience
- Experience of working on an agile team
- Effort estimation, planning, prioritisation and time management
- Developing software using TDD/BDD techniques
- Manual and exploratory testing of web-based products
- Passionate about developing automated solutions for test problems
- The ability to communicate efficiently verbally and in writing
- Passion for quality and audience experience
- Learning new software skills and work with new technologies
- Mentoring junior members of the team
- Previous experience as a Software Engineer in Test
- Experience with CI implementation
- Experience with cloud infrastructure
- Experience with performance or security testing
- Deployment experience - into test or live environments
- Experience of working with other teams to improve testing across an organisation
- Experience of accessibility testing
Contract type: Permanent
Location: London We're happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application
. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression - the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities - our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don't focus simply on what we do - we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you've read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC - whether that's to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here