Job Title: Senior Environmental / Waste and Decommissioning Consultant
In the Energy sector SNC Lavalin has an exceptional reputation for delivering innovative and cost-efficient solutions to some of the world's most technically challenging problems.
We support the whole life cycle of the nuclear industry, building the next generation of nuclear power stations, keeping the current fleet operational and solving the decommissioning challenge.
Across the UK and the globe there are difficult issues to overcome to create a sustainable energy supply and there is a great opportunity to make a positive difference to people's lives and the environment.
Be that difference. Only brilliant minds can solve the world's energy challenges. At Atkins you'll find the best place to apply yours. It is an exciting time at SNC Lavalin, and as a result, we have career opportunities for Decommissioning and Radioactive Waste Management Consultants to join our growing team of nuclear consultants at our prestigious offices based at Aztec West, North Bristol, Warrington or in the Epsom offices. The aim is to develop your current level of technical and project skills through targeted training and continual professional development.
You will have knowledge and extensive expertise in nuclear decommissioning and radioactive waste management practices. You will have a proven track record of decommissioning and waste management on large complex projects (preferably multi-disciplinary) as well as delivering projects to time, cost and quality. The role will also require you to actively promote and grow our decommissioning and waste support base in the UK but also importantly overseas in Sweden, UAE and / or Canada, creating business opportunities and developing client relationships.Responsibilities
Our Decommissioning and Waste Management Consultants are responsible for providing specialist advice during the design, operation and decommissioning of nuclear facilities and for the production of all environmental and waste management documentation required under Site Licence Conditions and the Environmental Permit.Requirements
Candidates should possess the following qualifications, experience and skills:
- Degree qualified in an environmental, science or engineering subject (physics, chemistry mechanical, chemical or process engineering).
- Experience of working within the nuclear industry (preferably with experience gained with an onsite licensee), with knowledge and hands-on expertise in many of the following areas:
- Decommissioning planning and implementation.
- Environmental planning, legislation and permitting.
- Compliance with Nuclear Site Licence Conditions under the Nuclear Installations Act 1965.
- Option identification and assessment,
- Environmental assessment studies e.g. BAT and EIA.
- Waste management and remediation.
- Development and implementation of waste management strategies.
- Waste characterisation and inventory.
- Material performance, aging and degradation.
- Waste packaging and transportation.
- Liaison with operators, designers and clients.
- Experience of completing projects to time, cost and quality.
- Experience of building strong relationships with clients and stakeholders.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a range of internal / external stakeholders.
- Experience of developing existing and/or new areas of business.
- Experience of owning and delivering engineering multi-discipline projects individually or within teams of professional staff.
- Experience of site-based plant or plant operations.
- Experience of technically leading / mentoring junior members of a team.
- Good communication and presentation skills.
- Travel to other company sites and working overseas may be necessary.
- Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career in engineering, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
- This is an exciting time for Atkins, we are diversifying our portfolio to become a more global organisation, while also continuing to grow our Energy sector in the UK. There will be opportunities for international travel and applicants with a desire for non-UK based assignments will be welcomed.
- Successful candidates may be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted.
- By joining the vibrant Energy Business in Bristol or Epsom, you will also have the opportunity to work across the whole Nuclear market from Decommissioning to Generation to Nuclear New Build.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house and well as external training for all of our engineers.About Us
Atkins support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers' expectations. Our commitment to staff development is underpinned by numerous stable and long-term framework agreements with key clients.
We are one of the world's foremost engineering and design consultancies, operating in most regions of the world, and in virtually every market. Choosing to work for Atkins will provide you with the opportunity to engage on some of the most exciting engineering challenges of our time. Together with our rewarding and flexible packages, you'll have the perfect balance to bring your personal and career goals to fruition. Reward & Benefits:
Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave.ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and abilityThis role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.