Have you ever ordered a product on Amazon websites and when the box arrived wondered how you got it so fast, how much it would have cost Amazon, and what kinds of systems & processes must be running behind the scenes to power the whole operation? If so, the European Supply Chain Analytics team is for you.
Amazon seeks a passionate, results-oriented, analyst to join our European Supply Chain team in Luxembourg. You will be responsible to monitor and optimize our complex and expanding fulfillment network end-to-end.
Successful candidates will have the attitude of a data detective combined with strong analytic skills and problem solving mindset. You will work both bottom up from anecdotes up to algorithmic improvements or top down from performance metrics monitoring down to processes improvements. This highly visible role requires collaborating with software developers and product managers, retail, fulfillment centers, and transportation teams. You must have the experience and capability to create and present documentation for senior executives. You love solving complex problems but you are equally strong at simplifying them for a less technical audience.
Your responsibilities include:
• Identify and act upon opportunities to optimize customer shipments or inventory transfers.
• Manage a small team of operations research and data scientists.
• Deliver step-changes in supply chain performance through optimization of configurations and parameters, or through improved algorithms and processes.
• Lead complex analysis, develop models and reports to drive key strategic decisions.
• Collaborate with operations, retail and software teams to implement key strategic initiatives.
• Analyze financial impacts and prioritize new features based on their relevance.
• Research, evaluate and roll-out software, tools or process improvements.
• Track the realized savings and impacts, and communicate results to senior leaders.
• At least 8 years of professional experience in quantitative analytics or business intelligence.
• Degree in engineering, operations research, mathematics, statistics, or other quantitative areas such as computer science or physics. Master's level degree or higher preferred.
• Strong knowledge of SQL. Mathematical, analytical, and data-driven decision making skills.
• Experience with statistical analysis tools (such as R), root cause analysis, process design and control.
• Excellent Microsoft Office skills, including strong working knowledge of Excel and VBA.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to simplify complex topics for broad audiences, as the role requires effective communication with colleagues from computer science, operations research and business backgrounds.
• Team player with proven ability to work with cross-functional teams in various locations.
• A track record of problem solving and creativity in finding/designing new solutions and innovative methods, using software systems and the desire to create and build new processes.
• Ability to handle multiple competing priorities and projects in a fast-paced environment.
• Experience with scripting languages (Python, Perl, or Ruby) and UNIX.
• Experience with analyzing big data sets (tables with 100M+ rows and thousands of columns are standard)
• Experience working effectively with software engineering teams. Technical aptitude and familiarity with the design and use of software systems.
• Familiarity with supply chain management concepts - forecasting, planning, optimization, logistics - gained through work experience or graduate level education.
• Familiarity with statistical concepts and advanced statistical techniques - distributions, confidence intervals, time series analysis, regression models, clustering, machine learning
• Familiarity with mathematical modelling & simulation techniques - probability, optimization (linear programming, etc.), graph theory, state models
• Familiarity with Big Data concepts and platforms (Hadoop, Mahout, etc.)