Location: London or SwindonLead Company Secretary - (P/T, job-share or F/T)The opportunity
An exciting opportunity to join Zurich UK's Company Secretariat & Governance function reporting into the Head of Company Secretariat & Governance.
The successful candidate will support the Head of UK Secretariat & Governance in leading the function, will lead on ensuring the governance framework is fit for purpose and will manage their own portfolio of boards and committees. The role is high profile and will involve regular contact with senior stakeholders.
This role is available part-time, job-share or full time. This is because we want the best people for our roles, and we recognise that sometimes those people aren't available full-time.Key Responsibilities
- Ensure companies operate lawfully and within their constitution.
- Ensure the maintenance of applicable statutory registers and Group databases.
- Ensure companies operate in accordance with Zurich policies, procedures and Group subsidiary requirements.
- Provide a full company secretarial service to a portfolio of regulated companies and committees.
- Assist and support the execution of company documents.
- Facilitate Director induction/refresher training.
- Provide advice and information on the corporate structure.
- Ensure the filing of statutory documents with Companies House, including statutory accounts, annual confirmation statements and event driven filings.
- Custodian of company records including minute books, filing records, correspondence, statutory documents, contracts and other documentation.
- Deputise for the Head of UK Company Secretariat & Governance as required, including attendance and minuting of the Monthly UK Executive Committee.
- Provide support and advice to the UK Executive and other key stakeholders on compliance with governance requirements and governance best practice.
- Lead on governance improvement projects and initiatives.
- Project support - be a key part of business projects that impact on the team, its remit or operate across our legal entity structure (e.g. BREXIT, SMCR, Legal Entity Simplification, Acquisitions / Divestments etc).
- Build awareness of how UK processes, tools and remit differ from other parts of Zurich Group and identify any opportunities for learning from other territories.
- Provide mentoring/technical coaching/training to other members of the team and support their development as company secretaries.
- Identify new legislation, regulations or guidance that impacts on our entities or the services we provide.
- Build our external presence and network to obtain a better perspective and insight on what other organisations do in the company secretarial and governance space.
- UK Executive Committee, Executive Directors, Shareholder Directors and Independent Non-executive Directors.
- Members of the local regional and global legal function.
- Other functions e.g. Finance, Compliance, Risk, Legal, Audit.
- Regulatory and other authorities (e.g. Companies House, Financial Reporting Council).
- Other service providers (e.g. lawyers, liquidators).
Your skills and experience
- Qualified Chartered Secretary (or equivalent)
- Proven experience in a similar role, preferably within financial services.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships with all stakeholders and be known as a trusted adviser.
- Experienced in company secretarial law and practice.
- Expert knowledge of relevant corporate law and governance and its application.
- Ability to record complex issues in a succinct and accurate manner to board directors and senior managers.
- Ability to challenge, and represent the function in key meetings / projects.
- Excellent organisational and minuting skills.
- Experienced in designing and delivering governance frameworks.
We offer an excellent lifestyle benefits package which includes:
- Industry leading Defined Contribution Pension scheme where employer contributions are 12 % of base salary
- 25 days holiday per year, plus an additional 3 volunteering days
- Private Medical Insurance
- Car Allowance
- Annual company bonus
- Discounted gym membership
- Discounted technology offers
- Virtual GP appointments
- Plus many more!
At Zurich we will consider requests for flexible working on hiring. Many of our employees work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time, flexible hours, job share, an element of working from home or compressed hours. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you may need. Who we are
With about 55,000 employees serving customers in more than 170 countries we aspire to become the best global insurer as measured by our shareholders, customers and employees. If you're interested in working in a dynamic and challenging environment for a company that recognises and rewards your creativity, initiatives and contributions - then Zurich could be just the place for you. The success of our business is built on the contributions of our highly talented employees - people who work every day to position us at the forefront of the insurance industry. We therefore look to hire great people and we encourage those people to give their best.
You'll feel the support of being part of a strong and stable company. A long-standing player in the insurance industry, we make every effort to address the career development needs and plans of our employees to ensure their success in the future.Further information
At Zurich, we aim to have a diverse mix of employees that reflects our customers and the communities in which we live and work. Zurich is a workplace that values different opinions, respects personal needs, and provides equal opportunities for all, regardless of age, gender, race, religion, disability, marital status, gender identity, pregnancy/maternity status and sexual orientation. Our approach ensures that Zurich is a place that values different opinions, respects personal needs, and provides equal opportunities for all. We are committed to continuous improvement and we offer access to a comprehensive range of training and development opportunities. Zurich is passionate about supporting employees to help others by getting involved in volunteering, charitable and community activity through the Zurich Community Trust. So make a difference. Be challenged. Be inspired. Be supported, Love what you do. Work for us.