Posted on June 14, 2019 PQE
: NQ - 3 Term
: Permanent Reports to:
Partner / Senior Associate Practice group
: Real Estate Location
: Edinburgh The department
Our top rated Planning and Public Law team has been involved in some of the most exciting and high-profile projects of recent times. The work includes new settlements and urban extensions, major regeneration and town centre redevelopment projects, mixed use, retail and residential led schemes, promotion of, and objections to, compulsory purchase orders. Our lawyers advise on a huge variety of both contentious and non-contentious planning matters.
The client base is impressive and diverse, covering central and local government, leading developers, retailers, investors, corporate vehicles, national representative bodies and local community organisations.
We now have an opportunity for an Associate to join the Practice, based in Edinburgh. This role is ideal for a 1-3 year PQE lawyer, however we will consider candidates at NQ level, with an interest and experience in planning law.
We are seeking a candidate qualified in Scotland, but with the opportunity and desire to gain dual qualification in English law.
There will be the opportunity (and occasional need) to work from other offices - London and Glasgow in particular.
The role is widely varied, with a particular focus on Scottish planning law. You will advise landowners, developers and local planning authorities on all aspects of planning law, including:
- Complex planning applications and environmental assessment processes
- Planning agreements/undertakings, highways / roads agreements, stopping up orders and infrastructure agreements
- Advising on local development plans, local plans, neighborhood plans and local development orders
- Review, assessment and drafting of planning policy
- Garden cities and urban extensions
- Affordable housing and viability
- Complex issues presented by major infrastructure and transport projects, and urban development and regeneration schemes
- Public inquiry and examination work
- Judicial review
- Listed buildings and conservation areas
- Compulsory purchase promotion and objection
- Development Consent Orders and Transport & Works Act Orders
- Community infrastructure levy issues / land value capture
- Planning due diligence on commercial and corporate transactions.
You will be able to communicate clearly with colleagues, clients and the wider market. You will be expected to work independently within a collegiate environment and act as a mentor to more junior members of the team, contributing to growing the practice through networking and marketing. You will develop your skills to make a real contribution in developing the business and the profile of the team.
Required experience, skills and attributes
Ideally, we're looking for the following:
- Knowledge/strong interest of legal planning and ideally some public law experience
- Scottish real estate experience would be desirable
- Good drafting skills and legal research ability
- Able to communicate complex legal advice to clients effectively
- Experience advising landowners, developers and local planning authorities on a breath of planning legislation
- Dedicated to exceptional client service
- Business development ability and demonstrates market focus
- Strong financial and business awareness
- Excellent problem solving and decision making skills
- Good judgment and resilience skills
- Strong initiative and drive and takes control of own career development
- High level of personal professional integrity
What we offer
And in working with us, you'll enjoy the following:
- Joining a top rated team with high profile clients and mix of exciting projects and quality work
- Working closely and being mentored by a friendly and experienced (13 Year PQE) Senior Associate
- Exposure to contentious and non-contentious matters
- The support, guidance and funding to Dual Qualify
- We're happy to discuss flexible working options
- Competitive salary and customisable benefits packages
- Joining the largest law firm in the world
We are a truly global law firm and as such, always welcome hearing from those with foreign language capabilities.
Dentons is the world's first polycentric global law firm. A top 20 firm on the Acritas 2015 Global Elite Brand Index, the Firm is committed to challenging the status quo in delivering consistent and uncompromising quality and value in new and inventive ways. Driven to provide clients a competitive edge, and connected to the communities where its clients want to do business, Dentons knows that understanding local cultures is crucial to successfully completing a deal, resolving a dispute or solving a business challenge. Now the world's largest law firm, Dentons' global team builds agile, tailored solutions to meet the local, national and global needs of private and public clients of any size in more than 125 locations serving 50-plus countries. www.dentons.com .
Dentons is committed to providing equal opportunities for all. If, as a result of a disability, you believe that there are aspects of the recruitment process or job that you would find more difficult than a non-disabled person, please tell us as soon as possible. We will then be able to discuss with you any reasonable adjustments that could be made to the recruitment process or the job itself.
Dentons is the world's largest law firm, delivering quality and value to clients around the globe. Dentons is a leader on the Acritas Global Elite Brand Index, a BTI Client Service 30 Award winner and recognized by prominent business and legal publications for its innovations in client service, including founding Nextlaw Enterprise, Dentons' wholly owned subsidiary of innovation, advisory and technology operating units. Dentons' polycentric approach, commitment to inclusion and diversity and world-class talent challenge the status quo to advance client interests in the communities in which we live and work. www.dentons.com .