2020 International Growth Strategy - Global Consumer Business Summer Internship Programme
The International Growth Optimization (IGO) team is a central strategy and implementation team supporting American Express's consumer business across 20 international markets. Reporting to the head of the international consumer business, the group leads the development and supports local market implementation of strategic initiatives that drive profitable, sustainable revenue growth. The team is responsible for:
- Identifying and delivering against net-new revenue growth initiatives that align to Enterprise priorities
- Ensuring effective execution of aligned growth initiatives through partnering with local markets and global centres of excellence to facilitate strategic projects of multi-market relevance
- Delivering bespoke data analysis for the leadership of the international consumer business and market partners to further enable data-driven decision-making and resource prioritization
- Leading the design and implementation of margin-enhancing initiatives, including through the development of technology solutions, in partnership with local markets and platform owners
- Developing and embedding effective market prioritization across markets and with critical business partners in order to aid investment efficiency and effectiveness
- Providing ongoing, informed guidance on growth levers to achieve the defined vision for each market
If you are a bold, strategic thinker, able to convert strategy into clear, actionable tactics, consider interning this summer with American Express. Interns will meet the business and leaders from all levels and have a chance to learn about the culture and values of the organisation as well as network across regions and functions. The Summer Internship Programme commences in June 2020 for 10 weeks. It consists of the following components:
What type of work can you expect to do in International Growth Optimisation at American Express?
- Introduction to American Express through an induction day and training sessions
- Meaningful projects which will have real business impact
- Regular Speaker Series with senior management
- Social and networking events
- Structured performance management process and regular feedback
Do you have what it takes to build a career here?
- Develop innovative, profitable, customer-centric business growth strategies across multiple global markets
- Create enhanced value for customers through business model optimization and innovation
- Develop cost-benefit analyses to determine feasibility of new opportunities
- Conduct robust external market analysis across the technology-commerce-marketing spectrum to determine best-in-class benchmarks and identify opportunities to power future growth
Qualifications How do I make a successful application ?
- Strong customer focus and superior project management skills
- Excellent influencing and negotiation skills necessary to build strong internal and external relationships
- Strong communication and presentation skills, including to senior stakeholders
- Results-oriented team player and individual contributor
- Strong analytical, problem-solving/quantitative skills
- Demonstrated strategic thought leadership to drive results
- Cultural sensitivity and ability to work across multiple markets
In order to make a successful application please ensure that you answer the below questions in your cover letter:
Why American Express?
Why International Growth Optimisation?
Your cover letter and CV will be shared with hiring managers, please ensure you spend the time to provide detailed, well researched responses to the questions. We expect cover letters to be around a page long. Educational requirements
- Currently enrolled in a full-time undergraduate degree programme or a Master's programme in your final year of study (any degree discipline)
- A minimum of 320 UCAS points and a predicted 2:1 degree or international equivalent
London (Victoria) Why American Express
Talk to our people and you'll find out what we're really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you'll hear. It's our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world. If you're ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here. Equal Opportunities Statement
American Express is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or any other status protected by law.
If you require any assistance with the completion of this process or need any reasonable adjustments to be made then please contact the Campus Recruitment Team on firstname.lastname@example.org
This role may be subject to additional background verification checks.