Flexible working can increase motivation, promote work-life balance, reduce stress and improve performance and productivity.
Once you join DCMS you can request flexible working arrangements within your contracted hours through your Line Manager.
We offer a number of options to help you achieve a good work life balance.
Working with your Line Manager, you can agree to:
- vary your time of arrival and departure
- vary the length and timing of your lunch break
- take time off if you work extra hours
You can also request flexibility during core hours.
Part time and job share
Most of our job opportunities offer part time working and job share partnerships.
If you job share or are thinking about it, a dedicated Job Share Network has been set up for civil servants to share experiences, get tips and advice from colleagues, read interesting articles to help you develop, arrange socials, and seek out a job share partner.
If you’ve found someone to job share with and you want to apply together for a post, you’ll both need to complete an application form. Make it clear you’re applying on a job-sharing basis. You’ll be interviewed separately.
We offer the opportunity to work compressed hours. This means that, for example, you could work 9 out of 10 days in agreement with your Line Manager as long as you still work your same amount of hours in a fortnight.
Flexible working and job share staff network
The DCMS Flexible Working and Job Share Network is an informal network to support staff and managers of staff who work flexibly. This includes all forms of flexible working including, part time working, compressed hours, home working, staggered hours, phased retirement and job share arrangements.
The network will:
- Be a friendly informal network providing peer-to-peer support and advice for both staff who wish to work flexibly/job share or who are already doing so and their managers.
- Signpost staff to relevant guidance and resources.
- Promote civil service wide events which address issues of interest to flexible workers and job sharers, and their managers, and where appropriate organise DCMS-specific events.
- Provide a central point of contact for staff who are interested in job share and would like to identify possible job share partners.
- Ensure that all staff are aware of the department’s policies/support available to those wishing to work flexibly, needing to juggle other responsibilities with their job, or job-sharing – whether currently doing so or not.
- Champion flexible working in DCMS.