About the role
We are developing a strategic HTTP API that powers all pricing, promotions and tax calculation across Tesco - in stores, online for delivery and in apps, globally across all our territories. Put simply, it figures out what a basket of goods costs, with a breakdown of how it all works out. Promotions in particular are a complicated area and we have recently supported Clubcard Plus, Clubcard Prices, a more sophisticated colleague discount scheme, food waste improvements by allowing colleagues to take items on final discount for free within the last two hours of store opening, for example. All of these would not have been possible with the legacy systems.
We are also responsible for generating and publishing the official invoice data for each transaction (up to 10 million per day at the moment), which drives the customer receipt and is consumed by other areas in Tesco for tracking finance, tax, stock replenishment etc.
The API has to be extremely robust, fast and scalable. The recent pandemic has only brought home just how it important it is to be able to serve customers, who rely on us for their food. About the team
The Basket Pricing team comprises Programme Managers, Product Managers and Engineering team responsible for the delivery and maintenance of the API globally for Tesco. The key business outcome is in fully building out the strategic capability of the API in order to transform the way we handle pricing and promotions, and to build a flexible system that can handle future business requirements with rapid turnaround.
This vacancy will report into the Head of Software Development. You will be responsible for
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role's key responsibilities and measures:
- Coordinate the basket pricing sub-teams to deliver for complex programmes with multiple business and technical risks that will impact the success of key Tesco business priorities
- Create and track a plan to deliver the programme goals, including the technical implementation plan, ensuring colleagues and stakeholders from across Tesco are kept up-to-date
- Manage dependencies and risk, to minimise delivery risk
- Prepare and present to governance sessions
- Establish new, or improve existing, programme delivery methodology to deliver the programme goals
- Shape programmes with ambiguous scope and uncertain delivery approach
- Understand trade-offs in software delivery using experience and influencing skills to drive consensus with the Engineering and Product teams to obtain the best value and solution
- Foresee potential risks and issues, establish a process, facilitate discussion and manage escalations
- Am aware and evaluate trends and new concepts in programme and product delivery
- Am able to understand a technical architecture to be able to foresee the impact on dependencies, delivery timelines and implementation plans
- Have good knowledge of engineering best practices and practical infrastructure implementations to appreciate delivery challenges
- Collaborate with the Product and Engineering teams to define annual budgetary requirements
Contribute actively to TPM community You will need
An ideal candidate must have demonstrated below key skills in their current and past roles
- A proven record of accomplishment in delivering large programs at global scales.
- Experience of building credible relationships and influencing senior management & leadership teams
- Experience working with product and engineering teams
- Strong Project, Stakeholder & Programme management skills
- Work through multiple time zones to deliver cross country programs
- Exceptional reporting skills for programs and financial forecasting
- Excellent communication & influencing skills and adaptability to changes
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop, whether they are at home, out shopping, on the move, anywhere in the world.
In order to enable our vision, we strive to simplify operations for our Colleagues, Partners & Vendors to enable efficient trade.
Everything is underpinned by our continuous drive for the best tools and technology to deliver our vision. We're driving innovation and transforming our Technology to become the world's leading retailer.
We need people who share our ambition to deliver for our stakeholders. Passionate and confident people willing to take the initiative and drive us forwards. In return we offer excitement, a great team, an excellent benefit package, and significant career development opportunities.
Joining us means playing a part in defining, building and launching an ambitious roadmap of digital products that could affect the lives of millions of people over the years to come.
If that sounds exciting, then we'd love to hear from you.
The position will be based at our Welwyn Garden City Head Office, United Kingdom.