VA - Validus
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): No Travel
Relocation Provided: No
Talbot Underwriting Services Ltd (TS1)Job Title
Senior Class Underwriter, Upstream Energy Department
Underwriting Responsible to
Head of Marine Purpose of Role
To underwrite risks in accordance with Talbot's underwriting philosophy and within own authority limits. To work with the Head of Division in formulating and delivering strategy and business plans. To ensure all underwriters underwrite risks in accordance with the Company's agreed appetite, authorities and processes. To manage the Upstream Energy portfolio. To work with the Overseas Offices in developing and managing the Upstream Energy business. Responsibilities
- To comply with the terms of personal underwriting authority.
- To work with the Head of Specialty in managing the achievement of the business plan, including identifying material deviations.
- To implement marketing plans, including opportunities for cross-selling and developing new products.
- To assist in the reinsurance purchasing strategy for Upstream Energy.
- To ensure that the Upstream Energy Underwriting Guidelines are reviewed and updated at least annually.
- To ensure underwriters with Upstream Energy authority underwrite in accordance with personal underwriting authority.
- To ensure that Upstream Energy business is conducted, processed and administered in accordance with the prevailing applicable policies, procedures and agreed service levels.
- To manage performance of direct reports and embedded UTS resource.
- To report to the relevant Talbot management committees, IMC and PPR in particular.
- To facilitate career development and progression of Upstream Energy team members.
- To act in accordance with all regulatory standards and principles at all times
- To provide information and assistance as needed to ensure that other syndicate staff can carry out their responsibilities.
Experience of Lloyd's market as Underwriter or Broker is essential.
Detailed knowledge of Upstream Energy products. Qualifications
Chartered Insurance Institute - Advanced Diploma.
Educated to degree level preferred. Desired Skills
- Able to operate independently without direction or guidance. Self-reliance, use of initiative - a "self-starter".
- Able to prioritize.
- Strong team working approach.
- Verbal, written and professional presence and ability to communicate at all levels with excellent negotiation skills
- Strong leadership skills, including:
- People management
- Build and maintain effective teams
- Build and maintain effective relationships
- Planning and organisation
- Strong documentation skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to summarise
- Ability to understand problems and issues quickly
- Positive "can do" approach
- Calm, rational and methodical approach.
- Strategic Perspective
- Commercial Acumen
- Analytical Skills and Judgement
- Innovation and Change Mindset
- Client Focus
- Communication and Influence
- Building High Performing Teams
- Execution and Achievement Orientation
- Talent Development
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.