In Content Discovery we build our products following Continuous Delivery practices on AWS with a strong focus on Node.JS. Builds run with fully automated build pipelines - using Jenkins - deploying to live multiple times a day.
We follow agile development methodologies and practice Test Driven Development, Behaviour Driven Development, paired programming and peer reviews.
We work in multidisciplinary teams, with developers working closely with test, UX, product and project managers to ensure that the products we are producing meet our audiences requirements.
We excel at collaboration and often work closely with other teams across the BBC organisation - and external companies - to push our capabilities further.
As a Software Engineer you will be expected to take a lead in the design and implementation of software applications, and ensure on-time delivery of robust, industry leading solutions.
Youll understand working in a DevOps model, and be able to help in providing incident analysis and resolution to any issues.
Youll have a strong background in software development and in-depth knowledge of design principles and patterns, with a strong focus on web technologies and engineering excellence.
Youll have a passion for learning new technologies, and be able to evaluate them and apply them to a variety of projects.
Youll have a positive attitude and a willingness to learn. Youll promote your skills, share your knowledge, and contribute to the evolution of best practices throughout the department and the BBC.
Are you the right candidate?
The ideal candidate for this role will have:
- A good knowledge of development best practice
- Great development skills and experience building applications (ideally in Node.js)
- Experience of unit and integration testing and test driven development
- Experience of Agile working environments, pairing and working within a collaborative team
- Experience of using source control (Git/SVN)
- Excellent career progression the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We dont focus simply on what we do we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure youve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. Youll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
The BBC is currently implementing a Career Path Framework align job titles and job descriptions. Consequently, successful applicants may be realigned to a slightly different job title shortly after joining the BBC. This re-alignment will not affect the terms and conditions of the appointment.