About the role
The purpose of the team is delivering the ambitions of the business through technology solutions for Finance and Property. Additionally, managing the divestment of the Asia business to CP through the TSA period. The overall team has end to end accountability for projects and programmes with Product, Engineering and Technical project management within the team. The team thrives on collaboration and passion. You will be responsible for
The STPM's role is to stand over the technical design, build & testing for each of our related outcomes. This will be supported by the relevant teams, and the STPM should confirm that quality & value are baked in, while ensuring that risks & issues are communicated appropriately.
As a consequence of the programme's size & complexity, a bespoke process has been implemented to ensure the aforementioned quality is maintained end to end. The STPM plays a key role in ensuring that this is being followed.
This role has accountability for a number of key initiatives across the portfolio.
Whilst specific responsibilities will be dependent upon the changing needs of the Tesco business, the following provides an overview of the role's key responsibilities and measures:
You will need
- Deliver complex programmes with multiple business and technical risks that will impact the success of key Tesco business priorities
- Establish new or improve existing delivery methodology to deliver the programme goals
- Initiate and shape programmes with ambiguous scope and uncertain delivery approach
- Create and track a plan to deliver the programme goals, including the technical implementation plan
- Provide expert advice and guidance on programme delivery (mentoring other TPMs and supporting Engineering/Product teams)
- Understand trade-offs in software delivery, using experience and influencing skills to drive consensus with the Engineering and Product teams to obtain the best value and solution
- Am able to foresee potential risks and issues, establish a process, facilitate discussion and manage escalations
- Act on opportunities to adopt trends and new concepts in programme and product delivery
- Am able to understand a technical architecture to be able to foresee the impact on dependencies, delivery timelines and implementation plans
- Have good knowledge of engineering best practices and practical infrastructure implementations to appreciate delivery challenges
- Understand technology concepts, grasp new ones quickly and appreciate their implications on delivery
- Effectively manage major incidents, ensuring stakeholders are updated with the right information to drive the correct decisions
- Collaborate with the Product and Engineering teams to define annual budgetary requirements
- Build positive relationships with suppliers & external stakeholders to deliver software or professional services
- Add value to vendor selection processes (tendering, agreeing SLAs, warranty periods, outsourcing)
- Coach peers and other roles, teaching where required, on methodologies and programme management tools and coach/mentor on leadership
- Take a leading role in the recruitment process and make final recruitment decisions
- Play an active leadership role in the TPM guild and community - proactively influencing capability and capacity planning for TPMs
An ideal candidate will have:
- A proven record of accomplishment in delivering technology and/or infrastructure; having done so across multiple teams in multiple geographies
- Experience of building credible relationships and influencing senior management & leadership teams
- Strong Project, Stakeholder & Programme management skills
- Excellent communication & influencing skills
- Experience in either Finance, Property of large divestments
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop, whether they are at home, out shopping, on the move, anywhere in the world.
We want our customers to be inspired and whatever they are looking for, we're finding bigger and better ways to provide it.
Everything is underpinned by our continuous drive for the best tools and technology to deliver our vision. We're driving innovation and transforming our Technology to become the world's leading retailer.
We need people who share our ambition to deliver for our customers; Passionate and confident people willing to take the initiative and drive us forwards. In return we offer excitement, a great team, an excellent benefit package, and significant career development opportunities.
Joining us means playing a part in defining; building and launching an ambitious roadmap of digital products that could affect the lives of millions of people over the years to come.
If that sounds exciting, then we'd love to hear from you.
The position will be based at our Welwyn Garden City campus.