A career at Arup offers you the chance to make a positive difference in the world. Independently owned and independently minded, we attract a diverse mix of people to work on ground-breaking global projects. We have an ambitious commitment to be the digital leader in the built environment and have digital teams and experts all over the world, who collaborate on world-leading software, data and technology projects and products. Being a global team means we value people with diverse experiences, backgrounds, specialisms and skills. The role
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a senior backend (NodeJS) developer to join our global development team specialising in building a strategic new microservice based platform in a modern tech stack. Your work will help us discover smarter ways to deliver some of the most exciting and challenging engineering projects around the globe.
The Digital Design Brief is a programme that is creating a data platform that will allow anyone in Arup to connect project data to design automation solutions in the cloud using a number of microservices. The solution will be used and applied at scale by anyone, for any design and engineering discipline across the firm.
We are currently past minimum viable product stage, and we are currently looking to scale up the team to meet business demands. You will be working in a small, globally dispersed, agile development team with colleagues of various digital skills, including UX design, frontend and backend development and software architecture.
"I've always wanted to work for forward looking companies that embrace people from all cultures and I feel very supported at Arup. I'm relatively junior in my team, but I feel that both my contribution and my opinion are valued. I work in a diverse team alongside colleagues based in countries across the globe which means there is always something new to learn." Juhi, SydneyYou should apply if:
Responsibilities of the role include:
- You are an experienced, independent NodeJS developer, with a real desire to make a difference
- You are excited about enabling smarter ways to deliver some of the world's most complex engineering projects
- You enjoy sharing your knowledge and mentoring more junior colleagues
Requirements and skillsEssential Skills and Knowledge:
- Responsible for designing, developing and supporting high quality software as part of an agile team
- Accountable for significant and complex software development activities. This will require you to be responsible for predicting and planning your work and coordinating efforts with other team members
- Contributing to Arup's digital development plan by taking a longer-term strategic view of the business
- You will be responsible for helping the development of less experienced developers - providing guidance, mentoring, training, motivation and direction to more junior staff
- Keeping up to date with software industry trends through hands-on experimentation with new technologies, blogging and attending workshops
Desirable skills and knowledge:
- Familiar with Express, REST APIs, PostgreSQL, Docker
- Familiar with Microservice Architectures as well as other common architectural and design patterns
- Experience with agile development methodologies such as Kanban or Scrum and TDD
- Strong team working skills and an ability to build trusted relationships with different people and groups
- Experience with any of the following:
- AWS, Graph DB (Gremlin & Amazon Neptune)
- Terraform, DevOps Pipelines, Kubernetes, Kafka & Event based architectures
- source control using Git, CI/CD, Azure DevOps
- front end development with React
- working in multinational, multicultural environments
- You have a passion for diversity, recognizing the innovation and competitive edge that comes from a diverse highly skilled team where equal opportunities are truly valued
- You will be developing your technical leadership skills and strive to improve the team
- You will be flexible in your approach to problem solving as you understand that there are multiple technical and commercial drivers for software development
- You will be eager to take on new challenges and look for opportunities to improve current solutions on your own
- You will make yourself available to help colleagues with problem solving and development requests
- You have an appreciation of future directions that the business and technology are moving towards
- You will possess a natural curiosity for all things technical and will take responsibility for keeping yourself up to date
- You will have good English written/verbal communication skills with both non-technical as well as technical audiences managing successful communications with governance boards and stakeholders
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in Computer Science, Software Engineering or equivalent experience
Please don't be discouraged if you don't meet every point above - if you meet most, and are strongly motivated by the role, and willing to learn, we are still interested in hearing from you. Rewards and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits packages in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical, and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm's financial performance.Shape your time with us
Our goal is to shape a better world. And to do that, we need to make Arup a phenomenal place to work for everyone. If we want to solve problems for people around the world, we must seek and attract the best people from the widest talent pool and create an environment that supports and includes them. We aim to encourage a culture where people can be themselves and be valued for their contribution. This includes people with disabilities, so please discuss any adjustments that you may require throughout the selection and assessment process with your recruitment contact.
At Arup, you'll be a welcomed member of the team with opportunities to participate in cultural and social events with the local community (e.g. as a STEM ambassador) or by joining one of our staff networks for women, culture or LGBT+ people. You'll have access to a range of flexible working options - whether you're a parent, a carer, a student, or just have a busy lifestyle - we recognise it's not always easy to commit to standard working hours so if you're interested in flexible working, please let us know when you apply, and we'll discuss how this could work in your role.Join us in shaping a better world.
We are an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcome all qualified applicants. You will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to sex, race, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status. We recognise that not all disabilities are visible and will make reasonable adjustments to cater for diverse applicants in the selection and assessment process.What happens next?
If this could be the next step in your journey, please apply online. All applications will be considered, and we will try our very best to respond to you within 72 hours of receiving your application.
No agencies please
Stay safe online - Arup will never ask for payment or your bank details as part of our recruitment process.