An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Embedded Controls / FPGA Design Engineer to join our team in Derby.
This role requires knowledge and experience in developing high-integrity control solutions for electrical power conversion applications. Excellent organisational & communication skills are vital as the role will require working on multiple projects simultaneously, mostly in a technical lead role and involve communicating across, upwards and downwards within the organisation.
At Rolls-Royce, we pioneer the power that matters to our customers, to society and to the planet.
Rolls-Royce Electrical (RRE) is part of Rolls-Royce Holdings plc having a global footprint that supports all our operating sectors of Civil Aerospace, Defence, and Power Systems. Current activities in RRE are focused heavily on turbo-electric propulsion, as well as supporting electrical power generation, energy storage, and electrical power distribution. Projects vary in scope but include concept architecture studies, modelling, simulation, prototype development and with a current focus on full scale product demonstrators (TRL6/7).Key Accountabilities
- Work on programming FPGAs to support our application development and help to create suitable methods & ways of working for product led development.
- Design, implementation and testing of solutions for framework development to support applications designed by electrical power controls engineers within the team.
- Support the development of processes, working methods and use of tools to enable RRE to transition from designing low TRL demonstrator hardware, to working methods suitable for product development.
- Working in a small team, there will be great opportunity to shape the control solutions for electrical power control within RRE. In addition, this position will provide a good opportunity for exposure to the broader aspects of controls for power electronic converters.
- Significant postgraduate experience with FPGA design preferably in the aerospace industry. If not, then automotive or any other industry requiring functional safety.
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree in Electronic Engineering or equivalent. Chartered Engineer status preferred or working towards.
- VHDL and general FPGA design process; Testing and debugging of FPGAs; Data bus designs in VHDL
- Designing for functional safety, preferably within the aerospace industry (DO-254 experience would be a strong advantage)
- Techniques for formal verification and validation of design entities
- Understanding of various serial data transfer methods: e.g. ARINC-429, MIL-STD-1553B, general asynchronous serial (e.g. UARTs), SPI
We offer excellent development prospects, along with a competitive salary and exceptional benefits. These include bonus, employee support assistance and employee discounts.Pioneer
the performance of the future. Join us and you'll develop your skills and expertise to the very highest levels, working in an international environment for a company known the world over for brilliance and innovation.Beyond tomorrow.
We are an equal opportunities employer. We're committed to developing a diverse workforce and an inclusive working environment. We believe that people from different backgrounds and cultures give us different perspectives. And the more perspectives we have, the more successful we'll be. By building a culture of respect and appreciation, we give everyone who works here the opportunity to realise their full potential.
You can learn more about our global Diversity and Inclusion strategy here .
At Rolls-Royce we also support requests for flexible working arrangements wherever possible Closing date
: 19th August 2019Job Category
Electrical Engineering Posting Date
12 Aug 2019; 00:08