Atkins Electrical Networks business are seeking a Electrical Engineer
who thrives on team work and wants to deliver for our clients, for our business and for yourself.
We are looking for someone who has experience of working in the transmission and distribution sector, enjoys a variety of work solving and delivering engineering solutions to our clients and who has a desire to work in the energy sector.
These roles offer significant opportunity for personal development and the opportunity to get involved in some of the most exciting projects. We are seeking people who are keen to develop to their full potential to the mutual benefit of the individual, the team and the company.
The role will be based in our Leeds Thorpe Park office
but presents the opportunity to join a larger Electrical Networks team distributed across the UK and work with colleagues internationally through our Global Design Centre.About the Team
As a well-established business, the focus of Atkins Electrical Networks business is building long term relationships with clients in the power sector, of which we hold a number of long term framework contracts through which we deliver our clients work. We provide value-added design and engineering services and built solutions across the entire spectrum of electricity networks from HV transmission grids to LV industrial power distribution and controls. Our clients include UK transmission and distribution companies, renewable technology providers and an increasingly key role in delivering the electrical design aspects of major infrastructure projects.
Working across the transmission and distribution and infrastructure sectors, our work typically spans across techno-economic studies, HV FEED, HV Design, project management and Regulatory and Advisory, supporting our clients in a constantly changing dynamic market.What you'll be doing
As an Electrical Engineer, your work will largely involve working on a variety of projects contributing to the technical engineering requirements and supporting the team to build strong relationships with our clients. You will also support the team by contributing to bids.
You'll have the ability work well both independently and within the team and will have the desire to broaden your engineering expertise. Typical projects are related to HV design for utilities and developers, supporting regulators and power systems advisory. You'll need to have
- Degree qualified in Electrical Engineering or equivalent qualifications and experience
- Working towards or a desire to work towards chartership with the IET
- A sufficient and appropriate level of Transmission or Distribution Network experience gained within a client organisation, engineering consultancy, power generation development or equipment supplier.
- Knowledge of electrical codes and standards
- Experience in one or more of the following areas is required
- Transmission (132kV+) electrical plant and configuration design;
- Distribution (up to 132kV) electrical plant and configuration design;
- Offshore or Onshore Wind Farm electrical design
- Protection and control design at Transmission and Distribution voltages;
- Network planning and project development;
- Network modelling and analysis;
- Techno-economic analysis
- Experience in preparing Single Line Diagram, Key Line Drawings (SLD, KLD) and Protection drawings.
- Ability to perform engineering calculations / studies / simulations (e.g. fault calculations, relay settings, voltage drop, cable sizing) and prepare system protection requirements design basis
We are looking for the following personal qualities:
- Ability to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders
- Contribute to maintaining existing and developing new client relationships
- Flexibility to travel to client sites when required
- Capability to work under tight deadlines while achieving objectives with the ability to deal with competing priorities and manage time appropriately
- Experience of undertaking design related activities for National Grid or DNO's
- Experience of computer-based power system studies packages e.g. DigSilent, ERACS, PSSE is an advantage.
Atkins is ranked as one of 'The Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work For' and as one of the 'The Times Top 50 Employers for Women'. We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers' expectations. Our commitment to staff development is underpinned by numerous stable and long-term framework agreements with key clients.ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not refer to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.