To help achieve our objective of equipping Defence with a smaller, more efficient and better-quality estate we are seeking motivated and suitably qualified Estates Surveyors to join established teams within our Estates Directorate network.
Supporting Senior Surveyors, the DIO Estate Surveyor will be responsible for delivering challenging and varied Estate surveying outputs, services and subject matter expert advice across all customers. The ability to work in a team will be key.
The DIO Estate Surveyor Role is to advise and take forward property related management and transactions at a number of MOD establishments, to include: negotiations to grant and acquire new lease agreements, negotiate rent reviews, lease renewals and any other property related agreements; increase income from casual use and licence/lease agreements utilising spare capacity; advise on rationalisation opportunities including identification of potential disposals; respond to day to day property related enquiries and protecting the integrity of the defence estate. You will be acting both as landlord and tenant on our unique estate, so variety is certain!
A relevant Estate Surveying degree or full Membership of an appropriate estates professional body (Associate RICS/MRICS/FRICS) is desirable but not essential.
There is 1 post that can be worked from any of the following locations:
- Andover (Market Skills Allowance applies)
Please state your location preference on your application.
For Bovington please select Wareham on your application.
For Lyneham please select Chippenham on your application.
DIO adopt a smarter working policy: The post holder would be based out of the main office location but has the flexibility to work out of other DIO Offices. All employees are provided with IT equipment to facilitate smarter working.ResponsibilitiesService Delivery
- Deliver allocated programme to stakeholders and customers within their delegate budgets
- Provide comprehensive advise and estate management transactional and consultancy service to include lease renewals and terminations, rent reviews, hirings, lettings, valuations, minor disposals, damage claims, sustainability/environmental, byelaws and other estate services as required.
- Provide support to ensure effective stewardship of the Defence Estate Subject Matter Expert (SME) Support to DIO
- Deliver timely and accurate SME input, advice and support to parliamentary, FOI, secretariat business and general inquiries
- Maintenance and completion of all records, and input into management data and reporting
- Provide estate consultancy and support to strategic programmes including estate rationalisation and reprovision opportunities Leadership and Management within the Estates Division
- Manage their resources in accordance with the DIO Values
- Demonstrate a personal commitment to the DIO Values
- Develop team members and assist Line Managers in delivering Departmental goals
- Ensure compliance with mandatory and professional training requirements
- Promote collaborative working practices with team and all stakeholders Programme Management
- Assist Senior Estate Surveyor/functional manager in the development of a programme of LMS outputs and support together
- Assist Senior Estate Surveyor/functional manager in reviewing and assessing against the programme taking corrective action and re- prioritising as appropriate Stakeholder Management
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of local and national stakeholder engagement to build effective relationships in support of the management of the Defence Estate Other Duties
- Responsible for assurance in relation to contracted out delivery of LMS programme and advice
- Support customers in managing and operating within their delegated budgets
Post holders will be required to travel to the sites covered by the post on a regular basis and some visits may involve overnight stays. Some sites are difficult to access via public transport.
About our Team
The DIO is the MoD-s expert adviser and enabler on infrastructure matters. It is tasked with equipping Defence with a significantly smaller more efficient, better quality estate.
Estates are the in-house real estate team within DIO advising our customers on current and future?infrastructure?needs, we acquire, manage, safeguard and dispose of the Defence?real estate.
Our unique customer knowledge and insight of the Defence Estate enables our in-house team of chartered surveyors, town planners, registered valuers and technical staff to provide in-depth advice, adding value to our customers delivery programmes across England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and Overseas. This includes but is not limited to: property advice, safeguarding, byelaws, rationalisation programmes, acquisitions, disposals, lease management, accommodation programmes, commercialisation initiatives, rating, valuation programmes and the management of the tenanted estate.
Estates has four delivery teams, Acquisitions & Disposals (A&D) - delivering the Acquisitions and Disposals Programme, Accommodation Optimisation Team (AOT) providing strategic accommodation advice and support, Land Management Services (LMS) - providing a comprehensive land, estate and property management service and Safeguarding - protecting specific assets and operational capabilities. LAND MANAGEMENT SERVICES (LMS)
LMS are accountable and responsible for the delivery of prioritised & agreed regional (UK and Overseas) and national DIO Estates programmes & projects against the DIO Business Plan & to support Military Capability. Estates deliver a comprehensive estate surveying, SME service to all areas of DIO business including Accommodation & the Training Estate, in the UK & overseas & external stakeholders. Delivery is via in-house service delivery teams of Chartered Surveyors & experienced technical support staff, with limited support from Industry Partners. This includes demonstration of effective stewardship of the defence estate & discharge of Department of State responsibilities
Essential Experience & Skills
Experience in all aspects of General Estate Management of a wide and varied commercial portfolio: -
- Landlord and Tenant - lease negotiations, rent reviews, lease management, tenant relations.
- Valuations - freehold and leasehold.
- Rent and debt management
- Estate utilisation and rationalisation
- Property Transactions - release of covenants, application of clawback, easements, wayleaves.
Full UK Driving Licence
Desirable Experience & Skills
Qualification - A Relevant Estate Surveying degree
Membership - Associate RICS/MRICS.FRICSLicences
Full UK Driving LicenceBehaviours
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Managing a Quality Service
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Professional/Technical Expertise (Practitioner Level)
- Understanding & Complying with Statutory, Regulatory & Professional Requirements (Practitioner Level)
We enable our people to work at the right place, with the right people, at the right time.
We believe that if we look after our people they will be passionate about delivering great things for our customers.
We understand the importance of life outside of work and our industry leading flexible working practices, digital technology and modern workspaces will give you the opportunity to enjoy a healthy work-life balance.
Some of the many benefits you will receive:
- Highly competitive pension scheme
- Flexi-time scheme
- Alternative working practices such as working from home
- 25 days annual leave rising (1 day per year) to 30 days upon completion of 5 years- service
- Ability to roll over up to 10 days annual leave per year
- In addition to 8 public holidays per year you will also receive leave for HM The Queen-s birthday
- Minimum of 15 Days Special Leave in a rolling 12-month period to for volunteer military or emergency service reserve commitments
- Special Paid Leave for volunteering up to 6 days a year
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave
- Employee Assistance Programme to support your wellbeing
- Most sites have good travel links with free car parking; many also have other facilities such as a Sports & Social Club, Gym and / or site shops Learning & Development
- Professional and Personal Development of skills
- Access to thousands of training courses through Civil Service Learning, some free or paid by DIO
- Ability to obtain industry recognised qualifications supported by DIO Allowances
Andover location - This post offers a Market Skills Allowance of; Location - -2,000.00 OR
MRICS/FRICS Qualified - -4,000.00
Market Skills Allowance does not apply to the other locations advertised.
This post does not offer any assistance with relocation allowances.
Please be advised that the Department is conducting a review of all pay related allowances which could impact on those allowances that the post currently being advertised attracts. Employment Hours
The post advertised is for 37 hours net, however the Ministry of Defence offers a range of flexibilities to enable a better work-life balance for employees. Flexible working, Part-time working and Job Share working patterns will be considered.Things you need to knowSecurity
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check .Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles , and will assess your Behaviours, Experience and Technical skills.
Please ensure that at the application and interview stages of the campaign you review the Success Profiles Framework to assist you in the demonstration of your skills and experience.
Your suitability for the role will be assessed using the Success Profile elements that have been chosen for this campaign. Each element will be scored accordingly, and the successful candidate will be appointed on merit.
you will be assessed against the following:
- Experience: Job History; Qualifications; Personal Statement (Essential Experience).
- Technical: Professional/Technical Expertise (Practitioner Level); Understanding & Complying with Statutory, Regulatory & Professional Requirements (Practitioner Level)
you will be assessed against the above along with the following:
- Behaviours: Leadership; Communicating and Influencing; Managing a Quality Service PLEASE NOTE:-
Application sifting is scheduled to take place W/C: 29th June 2020.
Interviews will take place via telephone/Skype W/C: 6th July 2020.
We endeavour to stick to these dates, but these are subject to change around business needs.
To assist with your application please find attached below:
1. Government Property Profession Competency Framework
For help and support with your application check out our
Civil Service Careers Homepage and the How to apply section
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.Nationality requirements
Open to UK, Commonwealth and European Economic Area (EEA) and certain non EEA nationals. Further information on whether you are able to apply is available here .Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles .
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equal opportunities. As such, we run a Disability Confident Scheme (DCS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.