For over 50 years we have used our imagination to create the best places, state-of-the-art buildings, thriving communities and ingenious infrastructure solutions. Our journey has taken us across the globe, from Australia to Asia, the Americas and Europe. And along the way we have set new standards by challenging conventional thinking for the better. What makes us different is that we understand and can deliver the whole process - or just part of it - from Investment to Development to Construction.
But most importantly, with everything we do, we leave a positive sustainable legacy for future generations to enjoy...
We have an exciting position for a Development Managerto join Lendlease on our Smithfield regeneration scheme located in Birmingham, United Kingdom.
Smithfield is the creation of a brand new innovative and sustainable City quarter which will provide local jobs, amenities and over 3,000 much needed new homes for the city, as well as opening up wider opportunities for regeneration. The 17 hectares development will anchor an expanded City Centre, helping to accelerate a wider transformation of Birmingham and support long-term economic and social prosperity within the region.
This role will be responsible for the vision, viability, and value of a development through inception and design stages. Other responsibilities include leading for acquisition, development briefing, stakeholder engagement, consultant management, town planning, 3rd party negotiation, and revenue generation processes.Job SummaryAccountabilities
- Overseeing and ensuring success of the whole development process
- Obtaining necessary planning, legal, financial, and 3rd party consents
- Managing all governance processes including reporting, approval processes alongside establishing support from all internal stakeholders
- Establishing and championing vision and placemaking outcomes
- Managing internal project expectations and balancing aspirational objectives with commercial constraints
- Building, maintaining, and leveraging relationships with all relevant 3rd party stakeholders
- Business case, market positioning, and commercial framework for the development
- Overall development viability, with specific responsibility for revenue and adding value
- In partnership with finance ensuring that development funding is in place
- Establishing and maintaining development budgets and cashflows and managing approval of payments against them
- Managing and participating in negotiating 3rd party agreements (including land agreement, S106 etc)
- Preparing and gaining endorsement for a Development Brief
- Procuring, briefing, appointing, and managing development consultants
- Preparing, submitting, and gaining approval of planning applications
- Overseeing the preparation and execution of sales, leasing, and disposal strategies
- Overseeing the preparation and execution of a Building Management Strategy
- Overseeing the identification and mitigation of development risks
- Ownership as client of Health & Safety Management including satisfying all statutory responsibilities
- Ownership of our sustainability goals and applying them to development process to drive absolute zero carbon agenda
- Drives Safety:
- Embeds Sustainable vision:
- Drives Inclusive Outcomes:
- Contextual Understanding of Cities & Urban Regeneration:
- Strong Relationship Management:
- Drives Accountability and Ensures Effective Delivery:
- Creative & Critical Thinking
- Manages Risk & Opportunity:
- Communicates with Impact:
- Makes Evidence Based Quality Decisions:
- Proven competency to carry out the accountabilities outlined above
- Demonstrable experience of managing development vision and outcomes in large scale urban regeneration projects and demonstrable understanding of development processes
- Experience of supporting meaningful and inclusive community engagement processes on contentious development schemes
- Commercial acumen and negotiation skills
- Proven exposure to managing 3rd party stakeholders
- An understanding and appreciation of the contractual relationships between parties (land owners, local authority, tenants, funders and banks)
- A desire to think beyond physical transformation and drive socio economic improvements for local communities
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Strong people management and issue resolution skills, including the ability to upwardly manage Clients. Partners and Stakeholders, motivate and manage internal and external project teams, and delegate
- Relevant tertiary qualifications (eg property, engineering, architecture, or construction etc)
- A passion for cities and placemaking
At Lendlease, our vision is to create the best places with the purpose of creating value where communities thrive. To do that, we take a learning and partnership mentality working closely with communities, local and national government, public and private clients, academia and our colleagues to ensure we are meeting the challenges and opportunities facing our global cities today.
As a leader in urban regeneration working across the UK, Italy, Asia, Australia and the U.S., we are committed to delivering some of the world's most complex, city-altering projects. Our integrated model works across development, construction and investment to give us the unique ability and scale to understand and innovate across the entirety of the place creation process to deliver holistic value and exemplar precedents in sustainable, mixed-use community-driven design.
It's an exciting time within our Development Business in the UK as we gear up to deliver on our substantial development pipeline and embed our established climate targets of being Absolute Zero Carbon by 2040. We currently have a number of important vacancies on significant urban regeneration schemes, which offer career defining opportunities for ambitious candidates. This role will provide the opportunity to be part of a collaborative team that is set to deliver a new benchmark for inclusive regeneration.
We aspire to create a diverse workforce by recruiting suitably qualified candidates from a range of backgrounds regardless of age, sexual orientation, ethnic or national origin or colour, sex, trans- gender status, religion or belief, pregnancy and maternity, marital or civil partnership, or any other group who face disadvantage in our society. As part of our ongoing commitment to diversity we have invested in the external verification for equality, diversity and inclusion and have achieved the Equality Assured Standard accreditation and the National Equality Standard.
We particularly encourage applications from currently under-represented groups in our industry including those who self-identify as women, black, Asian, minority ethnic, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and/ or disabled.
We build careers, develop skills and invest in people. Imagine what more you can do here.
L endlease is committed to being a diverse and inclusive employer of choice by engaging, enabling and empowering our people. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. Inclusion sets us all up for success and we particularly encourage applications from currently under-represented groups in our industry including those who self-identify as women, black, Asian, minority ethnic, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and/ or disabled.