As part of making the IPO a brilliant place to work, our strategy commits us to support the physical and mental wellbeing of our people across all our activities.
Our physical health and wellbeing programme has been in place for a number of years, responsible for a wide range of interventions and activities and benefits hugely from the support of our senior management team and the very high levels of engagement of our employees. Commitment of the IPO to employee health and wellbeing has created a very real health enhancing culture and ethos here at the IPO that is firmly embedded in our corporate life.
We maintain a wellbeing ‘roadmap’ which outlines various activities and campaigns that we support throughout the year. Highlights of ongoing activities in relation to physical health include:
- Regular free fruit and veg drops for staff
- Annual free flu vaccinations, blood pressure checks, hearing checks and a variety of part funded health checks including osteoporosis, prostate cancer and cardiovascular
- Monthly workplace massage sessions
- A wellbeing suite supporting multi activities: board games and puzzles, knitting / crochet corner, relaxation music, colouring, snooker, pool, darts, air hockey, a play station, a book section and health and wellbeing leaflets
- A gate directly from Concept House into Tredegar House to encourage lunchtime walks
- Active support e.g. weekly on-site exercise classes, an on-site gym, corporate gym memberships, walking groups and encouragement for staff to set up work-based sports teams
- A Patent Office Sports and Social Association (POSSA) which supports a number of sports and social activities, including an annual Sports Day
- Active encouragement for staff to increase their physical activity as part of their working day and reduce sedentary behaviour e.g. walking meetings, standing desks, using stairs instead of lifts, active commuting between meetings, suggested desk based exercises advertised on our intranet, including suitability for those with mobility issues
- Active support for a travel plan and an active cycling community, many of whom cycle to work and take advantage of the many facilities available to them which include;
Cycling accessories and spare parts to loan
Showers, changing and drying facilities
Information on local cycle routes
13 pool bikes (including electric and folding bikes) available to loan
Salary sacrifice scheme
Participation in local and national cycling challenges
bike maintenance demonstrations
active support for a travel plan
- Awareness raising and participation in national campaigns, including expert speakers e.g. in relation to nutrition, cancers, sepsis, stroke, menopause
- Participation in wider Civil Service activities e.g. Civil Service Active Wellbeing Week
Of course, our health and wellbeing provision is more than simply providing activities for staff and being done with it. Regular analysis of IPO employee’s needs is undertaken, in the form of questionnaires, surveys, staff suggestion schemes, focus groups and training needs analysis, which informs our future health and wellbeing activities.
We are confident that with the continued support and involvement of our people, the IPO will continue to maintain a culture and ethos of caring about the wellbeing of our people and their families that has been prevalent at the IPO for many years.