What’s the Muslim Network’s vision?
The Department for Transport (DfT) Muslim Network’s vision is to support the DfT Vision of being ambitious, outward facing, one team. The network strives to ensure the department provides an enjoyable work environment, where staff feel fulfilled and supported. A place people want to work and feel valued by engaging, advising and empowering colleagues (Muslim & non- Muslim) about Islam.
What’s your role at the Department for Transport?
I work in Rail Group, Passenger Services as a Contract Manger for London South Eastern Railway Limited (LSER). I manage LSER (in- life) Franchise Agreement ensuring LSER Committed Obligations and Public Performance Measures are met to improve the passenger experience on the South East Network (includes South East London, Kent and Sussex areas) train services.
What’s your role as Vice- Chair?
I support the Chair to inform and influence policymakers so that policy is more inclusive of Muslim needs.
My main responsibilities include:
- promoting a clear understanding of generic Islam and its basic principles, and foster and cultivate closer links with wider colleagues and networks
- providing support to Muslims in DfT with a forum to come together and exchange views on development through regular meetings
- leading and supporting six committee members to organise events
What’s your most memorable moment as Vice-Chair?
Receiving positive feedback from members and colleagues. They enjoyed the events, quiz and sweet delicacies from around the Muslim world and learning about Ramadan and Hajj.
How has the Muslim Network helped its members?
So far, the network has overseen the installation of ablution facilities for members, provided many networking opportunities and allowed DfT colleagues to get an awareness about Ramadan (month of fasting) and Hajj (Pilgrimage to Mecca).
We’ve had excellent support from the top with Lord Ahmad agreeing to give a keynote speech at the re-launch of the network in May 2016.
Tricia Hayes, our Director General for Roads, Devolution and Motoring has also supported the network by attending and giving a speech in support of her role as Race and Belief Champion.
What’s next for the Muslim Network?
We’ve got lots of exciting events coming up over the next few months including:
- a social evening to watch a film screening - ‘Finding Fatima’ at the Odeon, Leicester Square
- Ramadan event during DfT ‘Learning at work week’
- an educational visit to an Islamic site - ‘What it’s really like to attend a mosque’
- network lunch to celebrate Eid-ul-Fitr
- Hajj event to celebrate Eid-ul-Adha
Are you interested in a career at DfT? Please click here.
VERCIDA works with over one hundred clients who are committed to creating an inclusive work environment. If you are an employer and interested in working with VERCIDA to promote your diversity and inclusion initiatives and attract the best candidates, please call 02037405973 or email [email protected] for more information.
We are also officially recommended by Disability Confident as a step on achieving Employer status, please click here for more information.