About Network Rail
This is a unique and exciting opportunity for a 12 month placement by joining a dedicated team of analysts helping to create the railway of the future. Network Rail is at the heart of revitalising Britains railway. From HS2 and Crossrail to major programmes of electrification, we are involved in some of the most ambitious and diverse ventures the nation has ever seen. As the System Operator
the body responsible for the creation, planning, and allocation of capacity to run trains on the network helping to deliver economic growth to the nation.
Planning for the future is a top priority and our Capacity Analysis Team
has a key role to play in that. Our Network Analysts
are at the centre of the team and were looking for an enthusiastic and motivated individual who wants to make a real difference in shaping a rail network ready for the demands of tomorrow. Brief Description
Using the very latest analytical techniques, train planning and performance analysis tools, youll test new infrastructure schemes. Your findings will be at the centre of decisions about how we increase rail capacity. Ultimately, youll help us to make sure more trains and faster services operate across Britain. Youll utilise a mixture of specialised computer modelling software and high-level data analysis to identify viable changes to services, rolling stock or infrastructure. Whats more, youll help us to develop innovative new processes to improve industry planning techniques.
We dont expect you to have railway or planning experience, but youll certainly need to demonstrate analytical, investigation and problem solving skills. Crucially, youll have the ability to communicate clearly and influence people at all levels. Well provide the rest. Which means willingness to learn and develop is vital. About the role (External) The excellent training we provide will give you the skills you need to do this. You will learn:
- Advanced capacity and performance modelling and analysis techniques.
- Signalling systems and railway operating procedures.
- The factors that can affect network performance and how it is measured.
- Railway industry planning and operating frameworks.
- Project management lifecycle.
How enhancement schemes develop through the investment process.
This role requires a mixture of analytical investigation and problem solving skills, and the ability to communicate outputs to a variety of audiences at all levels of the industry. Key accountabilities will include:
Job Skills, Experience and Qualifications
- Undertake performance and capacity analysis through a mixture of specialised computer modelling software and high-level data analysis.
- Help develop new methodologies and processes to improve industry planning and analysis techniques.
- Ensure that all analysis is undertaken to a high standard and demonstrate the ability to drive your own development successfully through a comprehensive training programme in planning and analysis techniques and tools.
Previous railway or planning experience is not essential, but a proven work or academic background using problem-solving and analytical skills is required. Essential
- The ability to apply analysis skills to achieve project outputs consistent with time, quality and cost objectives
- The ability to communicate and influence people in all levels of our business
- Proven experience in delivering to agreed timelines and standards
- The desire to make a difference in a complex and customer focused environment
- Understanding of computer simulation techniques
- Experience and/or knowledge of railway operating procedures
For all roles, we expect our people to be Collaborative, Challenging, Customer Focused
and passionate about Building a Better Railway for a Better Britain. In submitting your application please include a cover letter highlighting why you are interested in this Year In Industry opportunity along with your CV.
How To Apply- External
Network Rail welcomes applications regardless of age, disability, marital status (including civil partnerships), pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, transgender status, sex (or gender), employment status, trade union affiliation, or other irrelevant factor. We will interview all disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria. We positively embrace flexible working recognising that employees may wish to balance work and family/home life.
Keeping people safe on the railway is at the heart of everything we do, safe behaviour
is therefore a requirement of working for Network Rail. Applicants should demonstrate their personal commitment to safety in their application.
Network Rail can offer you a rewarding career
with competitive pay and excellent benefits including a choice of contributory pension schemes, a generous annual leave package, a bonus scheme and an annual 75% subsidy on season tickets costing up to 3,333 (to a maximum amount of 2,500).
Network Rail is required to comply with UK Government standards when carrying out pre-employment checks for all new starters; this includes a basic criminal record check. In addition to the basic criminal record check, in accordance with the UK Government we are also required to verify your identity, right to work in the UK and previous three years employment history.
Salary: 17,000Closing date
: 16-12-2019. Late applications will not be accepted. We retain the right to close the advert before the listed closing date based on application volumes.
It is a requirement of the role to live within 75 minutes commuting time of The Quadrant Milton Keynes.
This vacancy is for a fixed term opportunity lasting 12 months. Currency GBP Amount of Travel Work At Home