Job Description: Position: Underwriter - General Liability Location: London Type: Permanent Band: IIIAbout the Hiscox GL team:
Hiscox London Market has an exciting future. The market is booming and rates are the best we have seen in years. With a business plan of $200m+ premium to deliver next year we are looking for a new Senior Underwriter to join our GL team.
Our strategy for the GL portfolio is to build a profitable, enviable, lead, core book of clients. Dependent on market conditions, we actively manage the size of this portfolio matching our exposures to the current market opportunity. Our portfolio focuses on US business (from SME to Fortune 500, Primary and Excess).
The successful candidate will work closely with and support the Line Underwriter who is responsible for the maintenance and development of the portfolio, delivery of the business plan and the day to day management of the account. We are looking someone with a strong commercial insight, with long-tail, Casualty experience and a proven track record of delivering profit.
This is your opportunity to join us on our journey to selectively grow our portfolio and to deliver to our existing clients, whilst exploring new distribution channels, and new technologies that allow us to improve our services and innovate our offering.
We are looking for a Senior Underwriter to join our underwriting team of 5.
The role will report directly into the General Liability Line Underwriter.
General Liability in turn is part of a wider Casualty division, which also includes Cyber and D&O.
The key to success in this role will be a detailed underwriting approach, strong relationship management, unparalleled negotiation skills and desire to innovate and engage in change.Responsibilities:
- Underwrite our 4 segments as per above, with predominant focus on Excess US domiciled Fortune 1,000, Construction, Rail, and Trucking;
- Provide perspective and innovation in developing our appetite and managing our portfolio;
- Lead and develop close relationships with our partner brokers and clients;
- Lead underwriting & sales initiatives to grow the portfolio;
- Position yourself and Hiscox as the go-to market for US General Liability in Lloyd's;
- Coaching and training of more junior colleagues.
Person Specification: Requirements:
Diversity and flexible working at Hiscox
- A proven track record and strong reputation of underwriting in the Lloyd's market
- Excellent sales skills and an insatiable appetite to grow the portfolio
- Decisive in nature, displaying good judgement in decisions and taking accountability
- A great communicator who can work with people at all levels, and are just as comfortable with clients and leaders in the industry as they are with their own team.
- Existing Broker and client relationships
- Degree educated or equivalent
At Hiscox we care about our people. We hire the best people for the job and we're committed to diversity and creating a truly inclusive culture, which we believe drives success. We also understand that working life doesn't always have to be 'nine to five' and we support flexible working wherever we can. No promises, but please chat to our resourcing team about the flexibility we could offer for this role.
#LI-CM1If you would like to know more about the role, or you are having any difficulties with the application process please send your CV and the four-digit job ref number to[email protected]