NMO, within the Office for Product Safety and Standards, is responsible for the type approval of weighing and measuring instruments in accordance with UK Regulations, European Directives and OIML Recommendations.
NMO is working in a growing, competitive and fast paced environment and is looking for a Type Approval Engineer to work within the Product Certification team.
Working with a team of Type Approval Engineers the successful applicant will assist in the following tasks:
• Type approval of weighing and/or measuring instruments, involving the assessment of electronic systems and software against the technical and metrological requirements of UK Regulations, European Directives and OIML Recommendations;
• Representation of NMO at meetings with manufacturers, trade associations, legal metrology organisations, local authorities and other Government departments;
• Attainment of financial, efficiency, customer satisfaction, and service delivery targets;
• Support senior colleagues in the generation of new business;
• Delivery of projects in accordance with the Legal Metrology Programme; and
• Maintenance of UKAS accreditation.
This role will be based in Teddington and will include occasional travel to meet with relevant partners and customers. Key Responsibilities:
As well as the tasks above, You will have responsibility for leading a wide-ranging portfolio of work including, but not limited the following:
• Ensure partners are well-supported throughout their projects, including preparing samples for testing, managing workflow and resources, whilst adhering to internal procedures ensuring full auditing controls are being followed.
• Providing regular communications to partners with updates on progress, costs and timescales.
• Review the technical documentation provided by internal and external bodies, evaluate the selected samples, produce evaluation reports for certification decision.
• Report on the financial and budgetary needs as required by the head of department.ResponsibilitiesEssential:
• Experience in certification and conformity assessment of weighing and/or measuring instruments.
• Experience in dealing with customers at all levels within business.
• Experience in representing businesses.
• Good interpersonal, written and project management skills.
• An interest in developing new services.
• Education in a relevant science or engineering field.
• Proven Science or Engineering background and its application in a regulatory environment.
• Strong experience in workflow management and management information reporting.
• Strong experience and knowledge in delivering a robust technical service in accordance with relevant standards.
• Understanding of Quality Assurance. Desirable:
• Knowledge of ISO/IEC 17021-1, 17025 and 17065 standards.
• Knowledge of OIML and Welmec organisations, processes and requirements.
• Experience in other conformity assessment procedures.
• Experience in software development and/or validation. Contact point for applicants
If you wish to discuss the role further please contact Stephanie Franks - OPSS-People.Operations@beis.gov.ukBehaviours
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Making Effective Decisions
- Communicating and Influencing
- Working Together
- Managing a Quality Service
- Delivering at Pace
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Science and Engineering - Securing, Maintaining and Developing Relevant Technical Expertise
- Science and Engineering - Applying Scientific and Technical Knowledge
- Science and Engineering - Understanding and Complying with Statutory Requirements and Standards
BEIS offers a competitive mix of benefits including:
A culture of flexible working, such as job sharing, homeworking and compressed hours.
Automatic enrolment into the Civil Service Pension Scheme.
A minimum of 25 days of paid annual leave, increasing by 1 day per year up to a maximum of 30.
An extensive range of learning & professional development opportunities, which all staff are actively encouraged to pursue.
Access to a range of retail, travel and lifestyle employee discounts.Things you need to knowSecurity
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles , and will assess your Behaviours, Strengths, Experience and Technical skills.
As part of the application process you will be asked to complete a CV and statement of suitability. Further details around what this will entail are listed on the application form.
Please use your statement of suitability to, in no more than 750 words, explain how your skills, knowledge and experience match the requirements of the role.
Candidates will be sifted on personal statement. Sift/interview dates and location
Week of Sift - TBC
Week of Interviews - TBC
Interview Location - Teddington
The interview will consist of behaviour, technical and strength-based questions.
The technical skills tested at interview will be based on the Science and Engineering framework - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/government-science-and-engineering-skills-framework
If successful and transferring from another Government Department a criminal record check maybe carried out.
A reserve list may be held for up to 12 months from which further appointments can be made.
Any move to the BEIS will mean you will no longer be able to carry on claiming childcare vouchers.
BEIS does not normally offer full home working (i.e. working at home); but we do offer a variety of flexible working options (including occasionally working from home).
New entrants are expected to join on the minimum of the pay band.
Please note that BEIS does not hold a licence to sponsor visa applications.
Please note terms and conditions are attached. Please take time to read the document to determine how these may affect you Reasonable adjustment
If a person with disabilities is put at a substantial disadvantage compared to a non-disabled person, we have a duty to make reasonable changes to our processes.
If you need a change to be made so that you can make your application, you should:
• Contact Government Recruitment Service via email@example.com as soon as possible before the closing date to discuss your needs
• Complete the "Assistance required" section in the "Additional requirements" page of your application form to tell us what changes or help you might need further on in the recruitment process. For instance, you may need wheelchair access at interview, or if you have a hearing impairment, a Language Service Professional
In order to process applications without delay, we will be sending a Criminal Record Check to Disclosure and Barring Service on your behalf. However, we recognise in exceptional circumstance some candidates will want to send their completed forms direct. If you will be doing this, please advise Government Recruitment Service of your intention by emailing Pre-Employment.Checks@cabinetoffice.gov.uk stating the job reference number in the subject heading.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.Nationality requirements
Open to UK, Commonwealth and European Economic Area (EEA) and certain non EEA nationals. Further information on whether you are able to apply is available here .Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles .
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity. There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.