Renowned and loved throughout the UK and the world, the BBC has become a household name which delivers online content to more than 25 million people globally, and we are proud to say that we help make that magic happen!
BBC iPlayer is at the forefront of the BBC's Digital offering, aiming to inform, teach and entertain our audiences— with recent commitment to increase investment in mobile we are looking for talented, quality focussed people to help us deliver on our ambitious vision. The BBC iPlayer mobile apps have been downloaded over 40 million times and serve over 7 million browsers each week and the test team advocates for our audiences through fast feedback mechanisms.
We are a highly collaborative team of engineers, testers, UX designers and product owners. We value our staff, offering regular training and development opportunities, as well as '10% time' - allowing dedicated time for self-improvement, learning and innovation. We take the time to reflect and improve on how we're working through team retrospectives and mentoring. We're a hard-working team who are supportive, care about each other, and promote a healthy work-life balance with opportunities for flexible working hours and a friendly working environment.How we work?How we work?
We are an agile team that supports continuous integration and deployment. We support this by making sure our testing is robust and that our pipelines are steadfast. We monitor our systems in production to understand the impact of change every time we release value to our audience.
We work in multi-discipline crews with Software Engineers, Testers, Product owners and Delivery, in a respectful and collaborative environment. We encourage a culture of team empowerment that supports self-development for each individual.
- You'll be writing and executing effective functional tests and carrying out exploratory testing to assess product performance
- You'll support, implement and help shape the Test approach
- You'll Plan, estimating and reporting test activities
- You'll contribute to test process and procedural improvements
- Troubleshooting- finding critical bugs or verifying reported issues, identifying their underlying cause and seeing them through to resolution liaising with other teams where appropriate
- Supporting change through experimenting and analysis to improve processes
- Mentoring junior team members
Are you the right candidate? You may have experience of some, but not necessarily all, of the following:
- Excellent communication and collaboration through multiple mediums, the ability to persuade and advocate for important matters to stakeholders
- A track record of innovative testing techniques used within an agile environment
- Demonstrable understanding of continuous improvement and a desire to experiment, measure and improve ways of working
- A keen interest in using automated testing to reduce unnecessary test effort and enable faster delivery, examples and experience is a bonus
- The ability to discern inconsistencies with acceptance criteria and working software and work to resolve these with colleagues
- Degree in Computer Science or equivalent
- Experience using proxy tools e.g: Charles or Wireshark
- Knowledge of Continuous Integration/Deployment in mobile apps
- Experience with Agile/Scrum/Kanban project management
- Experience updating ageing testing methodologies
Contract type: Full Time
Location: Salford, Media City We're happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application
. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression - the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities - our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don't focus simply on what we do - we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you've read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC - whether that's to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here