Summary of Role
Client Platform Technologies & Analytics (CPTA) is made up of a cross-functional team of software development specialists, geospatial information specialists and catastrophe / financial model specialists who bring best-in-class analytics, thought leadership and expertise in designing, building and supporting industry standard risk analysis tools. CPTA is also responsible for the delivery of two of Willis Towers Watson's major group-wide strategic change programmes, involving significant data, analytics, and externally facing cloud technology components.
A talented Technical Architect is required to join the Client Platform Technologies & Analytics function at Willis Towers Watson. You will use your practical experience to hit the ground running, contribute to designing high quality solutions to help meet our complex business requirements, challenge the existing solution architecture and processes and contribute to improvements.
This role will also include overseeing the architecture of multiple teams, each building applications and services to your design. This includes overseeing pre-production environments, security design, deployment processes, development practices, low level design and code reviews.
For the successful candidate, this is an exciting opportunity to work on a critical enterprise programme and continue to develop business and technical skills in a leading financial institution. Experience of working as part of on and off-shore teams is also essential, as is a proven ability to exhibit influence based on credibility and experience.
The successful applicant will report to the Client Platform Technologies & Analytics Development Manager. This is an exceptional opportunity to play a key role in developing the change capabilities of a global financial services organisation, where the focus will be on practical delivery and reacting to the highest value business needs.
Some occasional travel may be required as part of the engagement with business and technology stakeholders. The Role
- Maintaining an awareness of technology trends within and outside of the organisation. To include:
- Sufficient understanding of enterprise architecture to ensure enhancements and solution redesigns are in line with the enterprise vision
- Production and ownership of the technical roadmap for the area, as well as advising project development leads in this activity
- Providing health-check recommendations for the ongoing 'fit-for-purpose' state of our services through design and code reviews and oversight of the on and offshore development teams
- Working to defined Development best practices and principles to enable Willis Towers Watson to deliver industry-leading technology solutions
- Maintaining a full range of stakeholder engagement, across business and technology groups, internal and external audiences, from one-to-one up to large workshop environments
- Ability to act as a key member of project team and provide leadership in design and development.
- Assist in problem resolution and support the development team through consultation and problem research
- Communicating concepts to all levels of management
- Detail-oriented with excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ensure that expected application quality levels are achieved
- Hands-on development may be required to demonstrate component selection and prototyping
- Participate and recommend prioritization through the project implementation process
- Participate in governance mechanisms and ensure that deliveries exceed governance standards
- Rigorous design methodology that consistently yields the right level of technical design documentation and design technical solutions that conform to customer requirements, development standards and enterprise architecture principles
- Utilize understanding of industry information management trends/software trends to innovate and provide new project/product ideas
- Work as equals with development team for optimal design/delivery
- Experience in leading project teams building web applications and services using the Microsoft technology stack
- The ability to take high level requirements and develop an architecture and create designs/prototypes of solutions, working closely with the solution and enterprise architects
- Experience in developing project scoping and scaling deliverables
- Experience with all elements of change control/change management
- Experience with all phases of the SDLC including maintenance and with Waterfall and Agile methodologies
- Proven capacity to work independently and manage multiple, competing demands
- Experience with the Microsoft Technology stack, C#. ASP.Net
- Experience with Cloud Technologies, Azure preferred
- Experience with exposing data via Web APIs, oData, Restful Services, etc.
- Experience with Microsoft Azure DevOps (TFS / VSTS)
- Experience engaging and influencing business and technology stakeholders at all levels
- Experience of understanding complex business processes, involving multiple stakeholder groups and perspectives
- Ability to work to tight deadlines, manage priorities and take responsibility for delivering to time and quality requirements
- Ability to work without close supervision, define direction and comply with overall Group strategy and objectives
Equal opportunity employer
- Experience with modern web application frameworks, such as Angular, TypeScript
- Experience of the Power Platform, such as Power Apps and Power BI
- Experience of working in a financial services organisation, preferably with exposure to the insurance industry/insurance broking. Where this directly relevant experience is not available, we will be looking for an ability to rapidly become effective in a new, unfamiliar environment