The GMSA team's unique and trusted position, operating as an internal Strategy Consulting function, enables it to adopt a global approach to strategy development and execution. At the core of EY's goal to digitally enable its business functions and client solutions, it operates by establishing partnerships with leaders in EY's global functions such as service lines, business development, sectors, innovation, and in its operating regions.
The strategy analytics capability within GMSA informs decisions and discussions through tailored analysis and insight which is developed to address difficult and complex business questions and problems. This role is focused on addressing these issues and requires, business understanding, ability to formulate the problem into a framework which can be more easily answered, and the translation of data and the results of advanced analytical techniques into materials which are accessible to the audience, to ensure the outputs are impactful. As appropriate, advanced predictive modeling, machine learning, artificial intelligence, optimization, market analysis, econometric forecasts, data visualization, or scenario planning is applied to the task at hand.
Our projects include supporting the most important accounts in achieving their growth ambitions, evaluating revenue potential, portfolio performance evaluation, supporting organizational design and process transformation, market analysis, systems and database design, and other items of strategic and operational importance to the firm.
The delivery of these difficult and challenging projects requires the ability to listen to EY most senior leaders, understand their issues, design and develop innovative data solutions in short time periods to answer specific questions. Once developed these solutions can be built into regular analysis and reporting processes. Essential Functions of the Job:
To meet the ever increasing demands of the business, this role ensures that the GMSA analytics team continues to deliver new and relevant insights using the latest data sources, tools, techniques and technologies.
The Strategy Analytics senior manager for Innovation and Insights works closely with senior stakeholders in Areas, Service Lines and functions across the Executive in order to synthesize and analyze both internal and external data to provide market and strategy insights to the firm's global leadership.
Delivering strategic market analysis
- Developing a deep understanding of our business and our strategy by collaborating with senior leaders in other groups
- Creating tailored analysis and insight for our internal clients, based on a number of years of experience and expertise
- Identifying opportunities where data analytics could play a critical role in supporting and informing strategic decisions
- Liaising with and presenting results to our internal clients at senior leadership level
- Developing sophisticated analytical models to support data driven insights
Developing business solutions
- Designing, developing and documenting new innovative approaches to solving real business problems
- Explaining complex concepts and findings geared towards the style favored by the intended audience
Developing advanced analytical models using established and new techniques to support and inform our strategic goals
- Working with business units' leadership to further understand our market and accounts
- Enabling superior insights through engaging with a variety of groups within the firm
- Using the results of analysis to create compelling presentations for senior audiences
- Developing focused materials to present the results of analysis
Innovation Management and Insight delivery
- Knowledge of and ability to research and keep up to date with new approaches techniques and tools in the market.
- Pass on the skills and techniques to others within the GMSA team through regular teaming events and coaching sessions
- Mentoring junior analysts and team resources within GDS
- Pass over the analysis results to other groups (inside and outside the GMSA team) for ongoing operation and deployment
Investigating and specifying data requirements
Analytical/Decision Making Responsibilities:
- Assessing data coverage and quality
- Defining suitable data history requirements
- Working with our off shore support teams to enhance and maintain data used to support our analytics capabilities
The person undertaking this role will be responsible for innovative design and development of analysis which answers key business questions asked by senior leadership. They will be a high-performing problem solver who can think out of the box, combine radical and innovative thinking with sound technique and technology, and analysis to support high profile strategy analytics projects within the Global Markets - Strategy and Analysis (GMS&A) team. They will also produce outputs which are clear and compelling, soundly researched and analysed, and presented in a form which is immediately accessible to our global leaders. As a recognised subject matter expert, developed through years of Analytics experience, the senior manager will lead and contribute to the most complex and strategic projects within EY's global organisation. Supervision Responsibilities:
Supervise and up-skill junior analysts within the GMSA team and the off-shore support team to enable them to carry out analysis for senior leaders. This includes regular managing of workload, quality assessment and evaluation, skill transfer and supervision, deliverable expectations and timeframes across multiple projects.
Once developed, the solutions need to be communicated to other groups and teams for ongoing delivery and operational deployment. This requires that the analytical solutions are documented and can be explained to other users and teams.Qualifications: Knowledge and Skills Requirements:
- Ability to quickly grasp complex business problems, develop a logical/rational framework for problem solving
- An excellent understanding of the strategic, competitive and economic business challenges facing organizations
Ability to Innovate
- The role requires the ability to listen to leaders, understand the business issues and develop innovative and practical solutions to address new business issues
- The role requires the ability to understand what is important, simplify the problem to identify the key question which needs to be answered, develop appropriate analysis and algorithms, and deliver easily understood analysis
- Rigorous yet pragmatic approach to problem solving on complex business problems: designing, developing and documenting new analytics based approaches which can be replicated and redeployed.
- Understand complex data structures, strong logic and analytical skills, including data analysis and problem solving
- Use of advanced SQL programming to manipulate and manage complex data structures
- Use of data visualization and reporting systems such as Tableau or Spotfire
- Comfortable working in a rapidly changing environment with competing and shifting priorities
- The ability to deal with and manage uncertainty and incomplete information
- Ability to work to tight deadlines with demanding senior business leaders
- Ability to lead entire lifecycle of projects, from initial scoping conversations through to final delivery
- The ability to innovate and rapidly iterate solutions to meet deadlines
- Ability to coordinate multiple projects and initiatives simultaneously
- Ability to work well in a high performing team environment
- Ability to lead a small team to deliver analytcs insights to senior leaders
- Excellent verbal skills as well as communication and interpretation skills
- Excellent communication skills; written, verbal and data visualization
- The ability to present complex concepts and data outputs simply to senior leadership and non-analytics professionals
- Ability to engage with and effectively challenge thinking of senior leaders through new insight
- High degree of professionalism and integrity
The role requires timely responses to questions raised by senior leaders. This sometimes requires a flexible working approach working outside standard hours. Job Requirements:
Today is a time of significant change and challenge to EY's business. So, to develop the required analysis and points of view, our Executive Leadership requires exceptional problem solving and insightful professionals who are able to acquire, synthesize, model and interpret data from a range of internal and external data sources and translate this into a compelling business narrative to inform decision making. Education:
Strong academic record, preferably a degree in a technical domain (e.g., IT, maths, engineering, econometrics, science) and ideally a further degree in Data Analytics Business Intelligence or Management Information. Experience:
- Preferably 8 -10 years' work experience in analytics and / or business consulting
- Experience in the professional services, data supplier or consulting environment
- Experience working with "non-technical" professionals and senior leadership
- Using relational databases to manage and manipulate data for analysis and visualization
- Experience in data driven problem solving including 'hands on' analysis of financial and other data using SQL, analysis using a statistical tool such as R and visualization using Tableau or Spotfire
- Experience in developing decision making models with limited or incomplete data to help inform and make better business decisions
- Experience of using B2B financial data sources from data supplier organizations (such Capital IQ or D&B) and data from financial accounting systems