WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.The Job
The IP CoE, which is part of the WarnerMedia corporate legal team, is headed by the SVP & Chief Intellectual Property Counsel and handles all IP issues across the entire WarnerMedia enterprise. Among its responsibilities are anti-piracy, content protection, copyright administration, domain names, IP policy, patents, and trademark. The team manages and enforces all of WarnerMedia"s IP assets, and advises business units on a full range of IP issues affecting production, marketing, and distribution, as well as helping to form IP policy for the company and for the industry. The Daily
- Manage trademark portfolios, including applications and renewals.
- Manage enforcement of trademarks with government registries around the world.
- Clear trademarks for use as content titles and for use in connection with consumer products.
- Advise various business units on proper use of company trademarks and concerning use of third party trademarks.
- Assist with enforcement against unauthorized use of company brands and creation of unauthorized derivative works including:
- Drafting and sending cease and desist letters,
- Managing outside counsel and vendors in enforcement activities,
- Interfacing with Customs officials and law enforcement, and
- Advising company clients as to viability of potential claims.
- Assist in keeping up with worldwide IP law developments.
- Participate in industry organization meetings regarding IP law, including MPA and INTA.
- Assist with development of IP Policy positions and interfacing with the AT&T External Affairs/Regulatory teams.
- Advising on miscellaneous intellectual property matters, including (amongst others):
- Advice on IP matters relating to existing or potential new business,
- Clearance and chain of title work,
- Review IP provisions in various company agreements,
- Dealing with clip, stills and other similar requests and re-directing such to the appropriate departments or handling directly where appropriate, and
- Advising on use of third-party content in production and marketing content.
- Substantial PQE, having trained at and subsequently worked in a successful and recognized TMT/IP team in private practice, preferably in the media/digital content industry.
- Excellent working knowledge of IP law, ideally with both non-contentious and contentious experience. Knowledge should extend primarily to soft IP (copyright and trademark), including issues specific to media, such as copyright termination and title clearance. Ideally the candidate would have experience in clearance of content.
- Excellent technical legal skills, especially first-class drafting and interpretive abilities.
- An ability to juggle a large workload and rapidly shifting priorities.
- Commercial and constructive problem-solving abilities.
- Willingness to make decisions.
- International experience and a second European language a plus but not a prerequisite.
- Willingness to be flexible in dealing with colleagues and vendors in different time zones.
This role comes with a competitive salary and a wide range of benefits and perks, including private medical, generous pension contribution and company bonus. Many of our staff work flexibly in many ways, including flexible hours or an element of working remotely. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need.
Our people make WM the inspiring organisation it is today.
At WarnerMedia, our commitment starts with you! As a company of storytellers and journalists we have a responsibility to make sure we have a collection of voices and people whose stories reflect and connect with the global audiences and communities we serve.
WarnerMedia, and its suite of brands like Warner Bros., CNN, HBO Max, HBO, TNT, TBS, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Boomerang and many more, have long been committed to equity and inclusion as moral and business imperatives. It is essential that our content and creative partners reflect the diversity of our society and the world around us. Together with other production companies, networks, guilds, unions, talent agencies and others in the industry, WarnerMedia is committed to greater inclusion of people of color, women, the LGBTQ community, those with disabilities and other underrepresented groups in greater numbers both in front of and behind the camera
There really has never been a better and more exciting time to join WarnerMedia. For more information on how to join our company and our commitment to diversity and inclusion, please visit: https://www.warnermediacareers.com/diversity-equity-inclusion