Join our world-class engineering team delivering the technical solutions that power the BBC's website, mobile and TV apps, and platform services. Work for one of the world's most creative forces and trusted public sector organisations.
We are currently seeking highly talented Software Engineers for our BBC North Design & Engineering campus. There are more than 40 teams based in the MediaCityUK campus, responsible for implementing, developing and delivering a range of varied products, including:
- iPlayer, Sport & News TV apps
- Red Button and Red Button +
- BBC Online Homepage
- iPlayer and iPlayer Radio Mobile Apps
- Sport Mobile Apps
- BBC+ App
- BBC Sport Website
- CBBC and CBeebies websites
- BBC Online Search
- Platform - High scale Web APIs & database services providing content to all the BBC products
- BBC Food
Working to Agile, Lean and Continuous Delivery principles we are looking for passionate Software Engineers and Web Developers with a range of experience and ability (Junior through to Senior) to join the cross discipline teams responsible for these products. Successful candidates will work collaboratively and be given space, autonomy and responsibility for implementation.
Are you the right candidate?
See attached job description for full details. Typically we look for experience in one or more of the following mainstream development languages/frameworks:
We don't expect anyone to have experience of all the above skills, the above just gives an example of the kind of technologies we're working with. If you're great, we want you!
Band C - D
- Part-time opportunities - We offer a range of flexible working options from 20 hours a week upwards.
- Excellent career progression - the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities - our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community - we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges - we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 20 to 35 hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don't focus simply on what we do, we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you've read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You'll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.BBC Design + Engineering
D+E offers a wide range of stretching, creative and impactful careers for talented people. We are the team that's building the future of the BBC, whilst delivering TV, radio and online services to millions of people worldwide every day.
As well as being the people behind iPlayer and the News, Sports and Children's services, we develop, support and maintain the systems and infrastructure that keeps the BBC on air and are responsible for the biggest British-run digital service in the world. In D+E, you'll be working on unique challenges, hand in hand with the best creative minds in the UK and alongside one of the world's leading production and distribution companies (BBC Studios).
We offer challenging work but with the time to think and do things right. We uphold a 100 year history of invention and innovation in the BBC by welcoming and developing people of all backgrounds.