BBC Design + Engineering offers a wide range of stretching, creative and impactful careers for talented people. We are the team that's building the future of the BBC, whilst delivering TV, radio and online services to millions of people worldwide every day.
As well as being the people behind iPlayer and the News, Sports and Children's services, we develop, support and maintain the systems and infrastructure that keeps the BBC on air and are responsible for the biggest British-run digital service in the world. In D+E, you'll be working on unique challenges, hand in hand with the best creative minds in the UK and alongside one of the world's leading production and distribution companies (BBC Studios).
We offer challenging work but with the time to think and do things right. We value Diversity & Inclusion everywhere at the BBC and encourage people of all background to apply for the role and tell us why they believe they'd be an good addition to the BBC.
If you are interested to know more about D+E please explore the following links:
Role Responsibility Technical:
- Blogs: https://medium.com/bbc-design-engineering
- OpenSource: https://www.bbc.co.uk/opensource/
- GitHub: https://github.com/bbc
- General D+E info: https://www.bbc.com/backstage/design-engineering
- Building excellently engineered, high availability solutions to handle huge volumes of traffic.
- Ensuring technical quality meets the needs for a fast, reliable, always-on service.
- Championing new technologies and approaches to ensure our products remain world class.
- Collaborating effectively to deliver the best value audience experience.
- Working with others to get things done in a proactive and positive way.
- Working with journalists and designers on new application concepts and building prototypes.
- Working closely with our operational support teams to ensure our solutions our supportable, scalable and reliable.
- Contributing to an environment of engineering excellence and continuous improvement.
The Ideal Candidate
- Delivering features using agile development practices.
- Seeking out new tools and methodologies to evolve our development processes.
- Solving operational issues, including working under a Dev Ops model.
- Assisting with recruiting, mentoring and training new team members.
We're keen to speak with people who have experience designing, developing and supporting large, complex systems at scale with one or more modern programming languages and/or frameworks. We'd also be keen to see experience of cloud infrastructure and automated testing techniques.
Experience of project working and professional software development processes including Agile, behaviour driven development and test driven development would be preferable, as well as supporting software in a production environment. Finally, we value experience communicating effectively with both technical and non-technical colleagues at all levels in an organisation. Tech stack
We use a wide variety of tools and technologies across our teams, and you are not expected to have worked with or have experience of, all of them. To give you an idea though:
- APIs and back-end services - we use Node.js, Java or Scala, as well as data technologies such as Redis, SQL, NoSQL.
- Mobile - we design and maintain both hybrid and native applications using Kotlin and Swift.
- Testing - we use approaches across the pyramid, test driven development, jest and Firebase for example.
We create and support reliable and scalable cloud based systems on Amazon Web Services, use Git and GitHub for version control, continuous integration and continuous deployment. *Please note that this isn't a singular job opportunity, you're registering your interest to work with the BBC based on the role mentioned. We will reach out to you to advise on what roles would best suit your experiencePackage Description
Band: Mid to Senior (C - D)
Contract type: Permanent
Location:Salford (Flexible working options available) We're happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application
. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
About the Company
- Excellent career progression - the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities - our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
We don't focus simply on what we do - we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you've read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC - whether that's to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here