With 95% of the UK using the BBC every week, were the highest reaching media provider in the UK, driven by the strength of our Broadcast portfolio across TV and Radio. Beyond the UK were building one of the worlds biggest global media brands, reaching 372 million people a week worldwide across TV, Radio and online.
Using up to date cloud-based technologies and working within a DevOps culture, Media Services is the team responsible for publishing all of the BBC's online audio and video content, powering BBC iPlayer, BBC Sounds, BBC News and Sport. We handle live media, catch-up media, and Podcasts and support over 1000 different devices, including PCs, phones, tablets, games consoles, and smart TVs. The iPlayer and BBC Sounds apps are installed on over 30 million phones and tablets handling 13 million plays per day. Every day we ingest and publish over 1000 hours of catch-up content, and publish 3-4TB of new files.
This role is within the Mobile Playback Team and is one of the BBCs core platform teams. We develop and integrate all the BBCs Mobile Online and Offline (DRM) Media Playback capability. We make the media player that is used by the News, Sport, iPlayer, iPlayer Kids, Sounds and Education apps.
The BBC is committed to redeploying employees seeking suitable alternative employment within the BBC for different reasons and they will be given priority consideration ahead of other applicants. Priority consideration means for those employees seeking redeployment their application will be considered alongside anyone else at risk of redundancy, prior to any individuals being considered who are not at risk.
You will manage a team of Engineers and work in collaboration with a lead engineer to deliver against our product roadmap.
individual talent and autonomy among your team members while nurturing a culture of openness and collaboration.
and inspire your team, promoting fairness, building relationships, and maintaining a work environment where everyone can give their best.
, to clear your team's path of distractions and blockers, to interface with other teams, and to drive alignment by setting clear goals.Breaking it down, you will:
- Recruit, mentor and manage an effective and sustainable software engineering team
- Be accountable for the agile delivery of effective software solutions in a constantly changing digital landscape
- Work with project managers and product owners to create implementable specifications and tasks at product and roadmap level
- Make technical decisions and provide insight to peers and colleagues
- Ensure your team's approach to quality and testing is fit for purpose
- Review and give constructive feedback on others' code
- Ensure that your team's technical documentation is accurate and coherent
- Ensure troubleshooting and resolution of issues throughout the product lifecycle, which could include out of hours support for incident resolution
- Learn new methodologies and keep
Are you the right candidate? We'd really like you to have experience of:
You'll be even better if you have:
- Proven track record running technical coaching session in a group setting
- Actively embraces many aspects of extreme programming such as TDD and CI
- Proven record in coaching teams to reduce feature delivery queues and buffers
- Demonstrable comprehension of the complexities in delivering middleware in a native mobile domain
- Up for a challenge
- Experience of AWS cloud technologies, such as S3, SQS, Lambda and EC2
- Experience of working alongside product managers and technical architects to fully understand their requirements and turn them into reality
Contract type: Full Time, Permanent
Location: Salford Were happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application
. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We dont focus simply on what we do we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure youve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC whether thats to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here