The BBC is one of the UK's most well-known and loved brands. The iPlayer and Sounds department builds some of our most used online products, with a mission to secure the Internet future of the organisation.
The Interactive TV teams within this department build and support the BBC's 'big screen' experiences, including iPlayer, News, Sport and live events across our broadcast and connected TV platforms.
There is a wealth of content to discover throughout the BBC's connected TV services, and this team is focused on ensuring that it plays seamlessly and in high quality for all users, no matter what type of TV device they have.
Fulfilling this mission requires a detailed understanding of a wide range of Media Playback technologies and features such as Dash/HLS, ABR, MSE, Seamless Failover, Live Playback and HTML5 video to name a few. Consisting of a group of highly skilled, multi-disciplinary individuals the team is constantly collaborating working with a wide range of teams across the BBC, using Agile principles, to iterate and learn quickly and at scale
- Be accountable for the design and development of effective software that meets given complex, strategic business needs for immediate team and broader BBC
- Recruit, mentor and manage an effective software engineering team
- Ensure alignment of the teams products and services with BBC technology and architecture strategy
- Provide technical knowledge and insight to peers and colleagues
- Ensure the team's approach to testing is fit for purpose
- Review and give constructive feedback on others' code
- Support product and departmental managers in communicating strategy and product fit and effectiveness to stakeholders at all levels
- Ensure the team's software works well in its operating environment
- Ensure troubleshooting and resolution of issues throughout the product life cycle including out of hours support for incident resolution
- Work with other technical leaders in the broader organisation to define, document and distribute best practice and standards
- Define, lead and encourage continuous improvement of the teams delivery and development processes
- Work with project, product leads to design software and create implementable specifications and tasks at product and roadmap level
- Work with 3rd Party ("Indies") where necessary providing direction, support and documentation
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies and help introduce them where appropriate
- Work closely with your reports to establish a career path tailored to their motivations. Help them to travel this path by creating opportunities, providing support and empowering them.
Are you the right candidate?
- Extensive experience designing and writing robust software for large scale applications in a fast changing environment with rapid release cycles
- Experience working with media playback technologies (HTML5 Video, Dash/HLS, MSE)
- Expertise with mainstream development and deployment tool chains. (IDE, SCCS, CI)
- Experience of open source practices
- Expertise in web architecture and key technologies (HTTP, DNS, distributed design)
- Expertise in test driven development and broader testing and QA concerns
- Leadership experience of project working and professional software development processes, including agile
- Expertise in architecting clean, highly maintainable, decoupled systems
- Effective leadership and collaboration inside and beyond the team. The ability to influence diverse and senior stakeholders effectively
- Takes responsibility for driving products and system to success
- Recruitment, management and mentoring experience
Contract type: Fulll Time, Permanent
Location: Salford, Media City We're happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application
. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression - the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities - our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18 th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae'r sefyllfa gyda'r coronafeirws yn datblygu'n gyflym, ac mae'r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau'r risg, dim ond y bobl sy'n hanfodol i'n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau'r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18 fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the BBC
We don't focus simply on what we do - we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you've read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC - whether that's to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here