With 95% of the UK using the BBC every week, we're the highest reaching media provider in the UK, driven by the strength of our Broadcast portfolio across TV and Radio. Beyond the UK we are building one of the world's biggest global media brands, reaching 372 million people a week worldwide across TV, Radio and online.
Using up-to-date cloud-based technologies and working within a DevOps culture, Platform Media Services is the team responsible for publishing all of the BBC's online audio and video content, powering BBC iPlayer, BBC Sounds, BBC News and Sport. We handle live media, catch-up media, and Podcasts and support 1000s of different devices, including PCs, phones, tablets, games consoles, and smart TVs.
Our Platform builds highly scaled media capabilities that are relied on by millions of users every day, both internally and externally to the organisation. The iPlayer, iPlayer Radio and BBC Sounds apps are installed on over 30 million phones and tablets, and we handle 13 million plays per day. Every day we ingest and publish over 1000 hours of catch-up content, and publish 3-4TB of new files.
Our mission is to build a reliable, scalable, flexible and personalised media platform. To help secure the future of the BBC in an internet age, as media distribution moves towards being predominantly IP based.
We are looking for a talented Software Engineering Manager to lead Platform - Media Services - Engineering Team. You will be an experienced technology leader who has managed a number of diverse engineering teams and has a great track record in developing the people.
- You will be responsible for leading a number of skilled multi-disciplined teams for the planning, design, implementation and operation of BBC software products and services.
- Leading software engineering teams in the design and development of high-performance software platforms and systems
- Recruit, mentor, coach and manage staff, ensuring the quality of their work and professional development. Provide technical leadership and direction to peers and colleagues
- Accountable for ensuring the software is properly monitored, supported and maintained, including maintaining resources and skills for resolving issues throughout the lifecycle
- Working with other technical leaders in the broader organisation to define and implement the operating environment
- Working with other technical leaders in the broader organisation to define, document and distribute best practice and standards
- Work with the product and project management teams to ensure teams operate effective development and delivery processes that support the timely delivery of their roadmaps
- Lead the team to have an effective vision, strategy and business case that supports their product and wider divisional and BBC strategies
Are you the right candidate?
We are looking for someone with experience of leading multiple large (10+) software engineering teams.
- Significant experience in the management of software engineering teams, including recruitment, mentoring and development.
- Experience in dealing with multiple priorities, managing conflict and influencing
- Have a strong track record of growing software engineers and engineering leaders
- Have built and maintained highly performant software engineering teams, who have a good focus on quality
- Extensive knowledge of designing and writing robust software for large scale applications in a fast-changing environment with rapid release cycles
- Expertise in developing for operational concerns (monitoring integration, performance testing, security considerations)
- Are used to working in an Agile environment and owning an engineering backlog, alongside strong Product and Project Managers
- Expertise in test-driven development
- Able to deliver to deadlines and demonstrate resilience to ensure the correct technical solution is selected with a full understanding of the costs, timescales and risk involved
- Have an ability to communicate complex technology solutions in a clear and coherent way to different audiences
Contract type: Permanent
Location: London, W12 7TQ We're happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application
. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression - the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities - our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don't focus simply on what we do - we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you've read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC - whether that's to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here