We're looking for a talented junior software engineer to join the TV and Radio department of Design & Engineering, working on the Radio and Music Services team in Glasgow. Our team builds and maintains the APIs that power BBC Sounds on Web, Mobile, Voice and TV, as well as other audience facing products in the Radio and Music space. We're a multidisciplinary team developing services on AWS using Scala and Akka , and follow the Reactive Microservices Architecture advocated by Lightbend. We work in a Scrum-based agile fashion shipping incrementally and often. You can read more about what we do here [https://medium.com/bbc-design-engineering/building-bbc-sounds-in-the-api-66da03dc64f].
We work closely with our client teams and editorial in BBC Radio, and as part of the broader TV and Radio group, share practice and knowledge with our equivalent teams in iPlayer. The BBC Engineering community as a whole is a dynamic and supportive one, and there are frequent opportunities to collaborate with other teams. Our Engineers are all encouraged to do 10% time, which typically takes the form of a hackday every two weeks where they can work on pet projects and personal development.
This is a great opportunity to join a high-performing team at the heart of one of the BBC's highest profile digital products. You'll learn how to build performant and accessible applications in a collaborative and supportive environment, with plenty of opportunities for learning and development.
Over the next 12 months you will:
- Implement personalisation features for BBC Sounds
- Help monitor performance of new functionality and offer ideas on how it could be improved
- Improve programmes metadata
- Implement consistent search across platforms
- Advise product managers and project managers on the complexities of planned work, including providing time and resource estimates in the planning of projects
- Learn new technologies and apply your learning to projects where appropriate
Are you the right candidate?
- Familiarity with one or more JVM languages
- Understanding of service-oriented architectures
- Developing on the cloud, especially AWS
- Familiarity with version control systems (We use Git)
- Experience of writing unit tests and TDD
- Experience of development with Scala
- Experience of working with Play, Spray, Akka
- Understanding of Continuous Integration and build systems (we use Jenkins)
- Experience of project and issue tracking tools (we use Jira)
- Love of radio and music
Contract type: Permanent
Location: Glasgow We're happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application
. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression - the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities - our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don't focus simply on what we do - we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you've read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC - whether that's to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here