We work as agile teams, striving for continuous integration in our cloud-based infrastructure. Our technologies include SQL & NoSQL database technologies, Scala, Node, Python and whatever else we need to get the job done.
To get the most out of our large volumes of data we are using Machine Learning techniques to better understand what we have, and to present our unique content in more interesting ways to the audiences. Additionally we are using data about how our products perform to better drive decision-making about their future development.
The BBC offers an inclusive workplace where the principles of fairness, respect, equality, dignity and autonomy are promoted and are part of our everyday goals and behavior. We select candidates for our positions on the basis of merit. We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity. We value and respect every individual's unique contribution to the BBC
- Collaborating with the team and to understand requirements and to design and operate the software.
- Pairing to write & test software to address our system non-functional & functional requirements.
- Writing & using monitoring systems to monitor the health of our systems.
- Using CI/CD & AWS technologies to implement operational & deployment infrastructure for our systems.
- Troubleshooting & diagnosing problems with our systems in production.
- Voluntary participation in out of hours support for our critical systems.
- Helping select new colleagues
Are you the right candidate?
- Computer science or software engineering degree, or other appropriate education or experience in software analysis, design & development.
- Modern computer languages & frameworks.
- Driving for results (or "getting stuff done")
- Git & Jenkins
- Unix-like computer operating systems
- NoSQL & SQL databases.
- High scale APIs
- Cloud compute platforms.
- Data Science tools such as pandas, numpy, matplotlib.
- Machine Learning tools and techniques, such as scikit-learn, tensorflow, deeplearning, Word2Vec, and topic analysis.
Grades 6, 7 & 8 (Proposed Bands C and D)
- Excellent career progression - the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious software engineers to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities - our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community - we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges - we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don't focus simply on what we do, we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you've read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You'll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.BBC Design + Engineering
D+E offers a wide range of stretching, creative and impactful careers for talented people. We are the team that's building the future of the BBC, whilst delivering TV, radio and online services to millions of people worldwide every day.
As well as being the people behind iPlayer and the News, Sports and Children's services, we develop, support and maintain the systems and infrastructure that keeps the BBC on air and are responsible for the biggest British-run digital service in the world. In D+E, you'll be working on unique challenges, hand in hand with the best creative minds in the UK and alongside one of the world's leading production and distribution companies (BBC Studios).
We offer challenging work but with the time to think and do things right. We uphold a 100 year history of invention and innovation in the BBC by welcoming and developing people of all backgrounds.