Job Introduction About the BBC: Design + Engineering
Renowned and loved throughout the UK and the world. The BBC has become a household name which delivers online content to more than 25 million people globally, and we are proud to say that we help make that magic happen! Our Design + Engineering department keep the BBC at the cutting edge of the converging broadcast and online industries by driving the technological developments that shape our future. Job Introduction
We're looking for a talented Software Engineer in Test to join the iPlayer and Sounds engineering department working with the Radio and Music Services team in Glasgow. We need people who are passionate about quality and developing creative technical solutions.
Growing BBC iPlayer and BBC Sounds
is one of the BBC's core priorities. Scaling the 200+ strong team that develop our flagship digital products across TV, mobile, web and other connected platforms is critical to delivering that growth and reinventing the BBC for a new generation. With established bases in London and Salford, we are in the process of establishing a base in Glasgow and developing our approach to cross-site and remote working. BBC Radio and Music Services (RMS)
The Radio and Music Services (RMS) team builds and maintains the APIs that power our audience facing websites and products in the Radio and Music domain, including BBC Sounds and Voice assistants. Working in multi-disciplinary teams developing services on AWS using Scala and Java, all our teams follow software engineering best practices and use agile methods to ship incrementally and often. BBC iPlayer & Sounds
BBC iPlayer and Sounds are an integral part of our strategy for delivering digital TV and audio user experiences that serve distinctive, world class content and services.How we work?
We work in a respectful and highly collaborative Agile environment with multi-discipline crews of Software Engineers, Testers, Product Owners, UX Engineers and Delivery people supporting continuous integration and deployment. We do this by ensuring our testing is robust and that our pipelines are steadfast, and monitoring our systems and products in production to understand the impact of change every time we release value to our audiences.
We encourage a culture of team empowerment that supports self-development for each individual. We value our staff, offering regular training and development opportunities, as well as '10% time' - dedicated for self-improvement, learning and innovation. We seek improvement by reflecting and updating how we work in team retrospectives and by individual mentoring. We promote a supportive and friendly working environment, with a healthy work-life balance and opportunities for flexible working hours.
Role Responsibility Role Responsibility
- Working within a multi-discipline team shaping products, frameworks, pipelines and systems
- Plan, estimate, execute and report on both manual and automated testing of REST APIs using the appropriate test approach to validate the systems as a whole.
- Ensure the software delivered is of high quality, fit-for-purpose, meets the requirements, and is within the planned timescales
- Determine when to automate tests and when to adopt a manual approach to testing, create manual and/or automated test cases to verify functional and non-functional requirements of a product in various stages of the development life cycle
- Contribute to the design and implementation of automation frameworks, advocate their use to ensure high value is achieved from Test automation relative to the investment made. Create and manage our Test Data, stubs and harnesses.
- Use AWS and monitoring tools to view our audience experience on production
- Evaluate existing solutions and build new tools to support delivery. Find solutions when issues arise or when change or improvement is required.
- Identify bugs and their root cause, create detailed and accurate bug tickets, verify reported issues, see issues through to resolution and liaise with other teams where appropriate.
- Aligning with and contribute to test processes to ensure consistent application, liaise with other product teams to ensure joined-up testing approaches for multi-team projects in order to facilitate successful component integration into wider systems.
- Champion quality and the continual improvement of approaches and processes, ensuring they adhere to the overall Test Strategy.
- Pair and work closely with developers and product owners to write appropriate tests
- Keep up to date with developments and best practices within development, testing and new media.
Are you the right candidate? Are you the right candidate? - You may have experience of some, but not necessarily all, of the following:
- Ability to communicate, advocate, influence and collaborate with stakeholders at all levels to advance our testing strategy and deliver audience value
- Experience with Agile/Scrum/Kanban project development
- Experience in creating and executing manual tests, and automated tests within a Continuous Integration environment e.g. Git, GitHub, Jenkins, AWS CodeBuild, Go CD
- Proven ability of producing maintainable code within a collaborative environment using Ruby, Java, or Scala
- Experience of testing REST APIs (knowledge of HTTP codes, requests, responses, headers) and experience of API tools e.g. POSTMAN
- Experience and good understanding of validating endpoint schemas e.g JSON
- Good command over Arrays, Map, Hash, Loops, Parsing JSON in any functional programming language
- Good knowledge of working with database commands
- Experience in developing automation Test Strategies, Test Plans, Test Scripts, Defining Test Data and Reports
- Experience of test and issue management tools e.g. TestRail, Jira, Quality Centre, TestLink...
- Willingness and ability and to pick up different technologies and acclimatise to them rapidly
- Competence in translating product requirements into technical solutions
- Demonstrable understanding of Test-Driven Development (TDD) and Behavioural Driven Development (BDD)
- Experience of load and performance testing and tools
- Experience or knowledge of AWS and AWS tools (e.g. S3, DynamoDB, SQS, SNS, EC2, LAMBDA)
- Experience of using Swagger
- Experience of using network tools e.g. Wireshark, Charles…
- Experience with performance optimization tools, logging and monitoring tools
- Ability to coach and mentor junior team members
- Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
Contract type: Permanent
Location: Glasgow We're happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application
. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression - the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities - our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don't focus simply on what we do - we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you've read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC - whether that's to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here