BBCNI are excited to be seeking a freelanceShoot Editorto work as part of our Camera Unit within the Technology and Operations Dept.
This teamprovidecrew for multi and single camera productions across both local and national output as well as shoot/edit and newsgathering support for local and national news and sport.
In order for the unit to maintain and develop its high level of support , the role of the successful Shoot/Edit Camera Operator will be to work alongside a Journalism colleague to gather and produce material for news, sport, current affairs and general programming. Routinely shooting and editing complete packages for use across multiple platforms, and providing advice and guidance to production teams and other technical colleagues, ensuring the practical delivery of camera operation using the best and most suitable options.
A keen interest in contemporary broadcasting and programme making techniques, with an eye to the practical application of new and future technologies is essential. An informed awareness of the development of high quality, low cost equipment and techniques, and a passion for putting the best possible pictures on screen, will all contribute to a successful application.Role Responsibility
The Ideal Candidate
- Use a range of video, audio and digital equipment and information technology to shoot, assemble, edit and deliver outputs in the appropriate medium, to the highest professional standards - recognizing the distinct requirements of different services and ensuring that the output reflects the audiences we serve.
- Required to work in the field, shoot and edit short news or current affairs stories using Cinegy, Avid or other BBC approved packages. (If necessary, training will be provided)
- Routinely fulfil duties unsupervised
- To liaise closely with other team members and with other departments in the BBC, to ensure that output material is shared, duplication is avoided, and best practice is upheld
- Delivering to tight deadlines while maintaining the highest editorial standards.
- Willing and adept at passing on skills through training and mentoring.
- Offer advice, guidance and organisational control in multiple EFP camera deployments, in standalone situations or IP Operational deployments.
- Work with the Production team in order to deliver the required service in the most efficient and cost effective way.
- Support Technology & Operations with advice to enable the provision of the best package and service to our clients.
Candidates should have a detailed and expert understanding of single camera acquisition including lighting techniques. A multi-discipline understanding of video and sound recording, and knowledge of how to shoot successfully for, and complete an edit are essential skills.
You must demonstrate sound editorial and policy decisions, a clear understanding of the most suitable methodology and equipment for a given situation, but with the ability to offer and deliver alternative solutions when required
The candidate should have the ability to receive a brief from a production team or director, and translate this into a detailed operational plan to share with their own team and other disciplines.
Must have a proven track record of newsgathering experience.
This is a freelancer opportunity and therefore hours will be ad hoc to cover sickness and holidays, full details of the role requirements will be discussed with the hiring manager at interview stage.Package Description
Contract type: Freelance
Location: Belfast We're happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application
. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression - the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities - our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18 th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae'r sefyllfa gyda'r coronafeirws yn datblygu'n gyflym, ac mae'r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau'r risg, dim ond y bobl sy'n hanfodol i'n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau'r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18 fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/ About the Company
We don't focus simply on what we do - we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you've read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC - whether that's to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here