UW - Underwriting
Estimated Travel Percentage (%): Up to 25%
Relocation Provided: No
AIG Europe S.A. (U.K. Branch) & American International Group UK Ltd
AIG's underwriters develop insurance solutions that address the exposures of companies and individuals, and embody AIG's tradition of innovation, bringing to market groundbreaking insurance solutions for our changing world. AIG's underwriters help to find insurance solutions for risks from a range of areas including life insurance, aviation, financial lines, casualty, environmental, catastrophic events, high net worth individuals, and boardroom liabilities. As a Leader, you are respected for your deep technical expertise and/or ability to oversee programs and processes. You balance the needs of multiple stakeholders, making sound decisions using data, analysis, experience, and judgment, along with a risk mindset. Ultimately, you take ownership for key outcomes.Purpose of the role:
To contribute to the growth of the Financial Lines Profit Centre by: underwriting new and renewal business; developing and maintaining relationships with new and existing brokers; assisting management with reporting; and working to carry out agreed FL strategies.Accountabilities for the role:
- Meet individual underwriting expectations to help team achieve budgeted financial objectives.
- Underwrite within agreed decision making standards, limitations, and underwriting authority
- Assess desirability of risk through analysis of financial reports and accounts (as required)); regular contact with broker; thorough review of proposal; and review of claims history and general company information
- Use designated Underwriting system(s) to streamline underwriting and information-tracking approach across Profit Centre. Input required data consistently and accurately
- Provide accurate monthly Management information including, but not limited to, submissions, bind rate, average premium, and total premium as required
Customer and Sales:
- Provide excellent service to brokers through consistent, timely, and proactive approach to underwriting
- Exhibit sales orientated behaviours, defined by Management as: motivated, tenacious, focused, technically skilled, proactive, and accountable
- Generate new business by expanding broker network, attending broker events, and building new relationships across the market
- Be responsible for meeting larger proportion of new business target(s) than junior Underwriters.
- Provide excellent service to brokers through consistent, timely, and proactive approach to underwriting.
- Serve as guide and/or referral point for junior Underwriters.
- Connect junior Underwriters with brokers. Be responsible for informing junior Underwriters of broker networking opportunities as they arise
- Build relationships with brokers by attending and organising regular broker events
- Provide active guidance to junior Underwriters. Review and/or sign off on accounts as appropriate.
- Ensure all brokers and clients are treated fairly
- Ensure customer-centric approach
Experience & Qualifications Required:
- Ensure contract certainty
- Conduct self-audit as required
- Ensure compliance with key regulatory and risk management responsibilities
- Solid/proven underwriting experience is required; other relevant professional experience may substitute for underwriting experience
- Strong communication skills
- Time management - ability to handle multiple priorities, organise work and meet deadlines
- Ability to analyze financial statements
- Ability to network and build relationships
- Organizational skills
- Customer and sales focused
- Tenacious, motivated, proactive
It has been and will continue to be the policy of American International Group, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliates to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal opportunity to all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, age, gender, gender expression, national origin, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected categories.
At AIG, we believe that diversity and inclusion are critical to our future and our mission - creating a foundation for a creative workplace that leads to innovation, growth, and profitability. Through a wide variety of programs and initiatives, we invest in each employee, seeking to ensure that our people are not only respected as individuals, but also truly valued for their unique perspectives.