- A Senior Consultant / Consultant based in our head offices in Swindon, South West England or in our London office in Threadneedle Street.
- Salary ranges: £42,370 - £61,201/ £50,840 - £73,436 per year (appointment will be dependent on current salary and experience) based on a 35- hours a week, permanent contract plus competitive benefits
Nationwide is committed to providing equality of opportunity in employment, and to developing work practices and policies that support work-life balance. As such we welcome applications from those looking for flexible working and/or job share.
It's an exciting time to be a part of the Treasury Modelling & Analytics team at Nationwide! We are on a journey to help drive the way strategic decisions are made within Treasury and the broader Finance Community. This, combined with our core purpose as a Capital / Regulatory modelling function, means we have exposure to a broad range of different activities crucial to the way the Society operates, and makes us a great place to learn about Treasury, Finance, Risk management and Modelling.
An opportunity has arisen for a Senior Consultant / Consultant within the team. We are responsible for developing innovative statistical models critical to business decisions. This role would be ideal for someone who is keen to apply their modelling skills in a financial environment and likes to get a deep understanding of a problem and come up with creative but practical solutions.
Who we're looking for
This role is all about supporting model developments, producing adhoc analysis, reviewing model performance and taking action to improve it, and integrating our models into new business processes and decision making. You'll need to have:
- Minimum degree level education in a relevant subject (such as Finance, Mathematics, Physics, Engineering or Economics)
- Experience using a range of statistical modelling techniques, including linear and logistic regression, monte carlo simulations, VaR, and machine learning techniques.
- Robust programming experience with tools such as S+/R, C/C++, SQL, VBA, Python or SAS
- A track record of taking a logical approach to understand an existing system or model and explain how it works
- A proven ability to use your highly developed analytical skills to come up with innovative modelling solutions to business problems
- Experience working with large and complex datasets such as account or customer level information
We will also be looking for:
- strong verbal and written communication skills including the ability to clearly communicate complex issues succinct and simple way
- a collaborative approach and the ability to manage stakeholders across the business
- the ability to manage a small team of analysts/ programmers
- a willingness and aptitude to take the initiative and proactively offer solutions to problems
What you'll be doing
Our models are used for a range of purposes (e.g. P2A Capital, CST, Hedging, Strategic investment decisions & Regulatory reporting) and covering a broad range of risks (e.g. Market, Liquidity, Operational and Credit Risks). This role is an opportunity to help us enhance the integrity of our existing model estate, and streamline the way in which we review model performance. You will be responsible for integrating our models into new and existing business processes and will work closely with teams in F&E to take advantage of new opportunities to use modelling/data science to improve the way we manage risk and make decisions. You will get involved in model developments; offering support to other members of the team to understand the nature of the risk, understand the data and what it tells us, research and evaluate methodologies and offer potential solutions. You will also be expected to line manage more junior team members and assist them in developing their modelling skills.
The extras you'll get
If you put a lot in, it's only fair you should get a lot out. So, if you help us do the right thing for our customers, we'll help further your career at Nationwide.
As part of our team you'll get:
- Access to training to help you progress and develop your technical skills and career
- Pension scheme where if you pay in 7% we'll top it up to 23%
- Life assurance worth 8x your salary
- 24 days' holiday plus bank holidays
- The ability to 'buy' up to 10 days more holiday
- Flexible benefits scheme giving you access to discount vouchers at various retail outlets
- Access to a Healthcare scheme
- Access to an annual performance related bonus scheme
Work with PRIDE Why work for us?
At Nationwide we're here for our members and we put their needs first in everything we do. And now, more than ever, two things are helping us go from strength to strength: we put our customers first, and we're known for being open, honest and trustworthy.
We're also the world's largest building society, with communities at the heart of everything we do. We aim to do the right thing for our members which helps set us apart from our competitors. But we need good people to help us do it. People who understand what we believe in, and have the talent and drive to keep us successful.